This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9548 / 51°57'17"N
Longitude: 0.0432 / 0°2'35"E
OS Eastings: 540504
OS Northings: 230452
OS Grid: TL405304
Mapcode National: GBR LB8.KQ1
Mapcode Global: VHHLD.P4Q8
Entry Name: Hormead Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160280
Location: Hormead, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hormead
Built-Up Area: Great Hormead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4030 HORMEAD HALL LANE
11/59 Hormead Hall
Manor house. C16, hall floored and house renovated in C17 with kitchen
wing at NW, rear wing altered and dormers added in C20. Timber frame
plastered, with steep red tile roofs. A long 2-storeys house facing S
with cellar under E end. S front has 3 windows and a half glazed door in
a trelliswork porch. 3-light small paned casements. Canted bay. 2 large
hipped dormers at eaves give more light to the 1st floor partly in the
roof. Tall red brick chimney a third from E end with separate octagonal
shafts and moulded caps in line across ridge, and 2 similar shafts to
rectangular external W gable chimney. Internally the W room has lower
floor level and axial joists suggesting it was added possibly in C17.
Central part of 3 bays, now a passage and hall, has 2 cross beams and
paired axial beams staggered in line, of a floor inserted in the former
open hall and service bay. There is an edge-halved scarf joint in the
front wallplate, and a tie beam across the W face of the chimney put in
when the tie-beam of the open-truss of the hall was cut back to the
wallplates. At the NE corner of the hall an old door with moulded jambs,
3-centred doorhead and carved spandrels leads to the E parlour with
cellar below. This has a fine stone moulded fire surround with
4-centred arch and spandrels carved with heraldic shields probably of
John Delawood and his wife Katherine. The tall chamber over the hall has
an C18 iron basket grate. A moated site. Centre of Redeswall Manor.
(RCHM (1911)102 No. 2: VCH (1914)69, 72).
Listing NGR: TL4050430452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings