This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1236 / 51°7'24"N
Longitude: -2.771 / 2°46'15"W
OS Eastings: 346135
OS Northings: 136314
OS Grid: ST461363
Mapcode National: GBR MH.9FSQ
Mapcode Global: VH7DT.X1F0
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Last Amended: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267807
Location: Walton, Mendip, Somerset, BA16
Civil Parish: Walton
Built-Up Area: Street
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side)
5/99 Church of The Holy Trinity
(previously listed as Walton
Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by John Norton with Rev. J. F. Turner; carved work by Seymour of Taunton. Squared rubble,
freestone dressings, many 2-stage buttresses with offsets, tile roofs with fishscale banding and crested ridges,
lean-to slate roof to aisle, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, chancel with
North vestry, tower abutting North-East end of aisle. Mannered Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
Three-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, lancets to bell-chamber, clock to North face, pyramidal slate roof added 1886
with weathervane. Three bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, flowing tracery, labels, some with foliate stops, some with
stops carved as heads; 4-light West window, ball-flower decoration; the 2-bay chancel in conforming style, 2-light
windows, 3-light East window, priests door. Three bay aisle, 3-light windows with 4-centred heads. Lofty interior with
overpainted polychromatic banding executed in brick, tile and encaustic tile pavements. Wagon roof to nave; lean-to
roof on foliate corbels to aisle; collar-beam roof to chancel with cusped struts. Three-bay arcade to aisle with
4-shafted columns; chamfered chancel arch with ball-flower decoration. Recuabant C14 figure in aisle. Two Jacobean
chairs, an altar-table and a chest. C18 bench. Elaborate font with detached marble shafts the gift of the Thynne
family. Stone pulpit. Brass and wood altar rail; good altar table in Early English style. Three wall monuments, one in
brass. Bell of 1637. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; The Central Somerset Gazette,
May 5 1866: the Building News, 6th March, 1891).
Listing NGR: ST4613536314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings