History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stawley, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.993 / 50°59'34"N

Longitude: -3.3148 / 3°18'53"W

OS Eastings: 307822

OS Northings: 122336

OS Grid: ST078223

Mapcode National: GBR LR.KN1Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 36YH.8FJ

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270107

Location: Stawley, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Stawley

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Kittisford

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Stawley

Listing Text

ST02SE STAWLEY CP KITTISFORD

6/32 Church of St Nicholas

25.1.56

GV II*

Church. Circa 1500 mid C17 addition, restored 1875. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered tower, C19 tiled roofs.
3-bay nave with chapel continuing from South aisle, South porch, West tower, C17 North projection. 3-stage tower,
crenellated parapet, setback buttresses without render, Tudor arch doorway with 3-light window above, reticulated like
East window. South window 3-light square headed with Tudor arch heads. Gabled C19 porch giving access to West door of
South aisle Annex on North side rated externally 1659 above blocked doorway with gothic survival 2-light trefoil
headed, ovolo moulded windows. Interior: plastered. Major feature 2-bay wooden arcade, restored C19, with Tudor arches.
Wide semi-circular entry into North projection with moulded arch. Priests door to North, piscina in South chapel and 2
brasses to Richard and Agnes Bluett, farmer died 1524, minus their epitaphs. Wooden pulpit dated 1616. Perpendicular
pedestal font. C17 door. Roger Wood of Overtown, Kittisford in his will of 3 September 1657 left 200 pounds to build a
new aisle in the church, hence the North annex. (Thorne, The History of Antiquities of the Villages of Somerset,
1950).


Listing NGR: ST0782222336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.