History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hogstow Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Minsterley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6226 / 52°37'21"N

Longitude: -2.9382 / 2°56'17"W

OS Eastings: 336583

OS Northings: 303167

OS Grid: SJ365031

Mapcode National: GBR B8.7Z5N

Mapcode Global: WH8C3.VB1T

Entry Name: Hogstow Mill

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176313

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258999

Location: Minsterley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Minsterley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Minsterley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Minsterley

Listing Text

SJ 30 SE MINSTERLEY C.P. WAGBEACH

11/92 Hogstow Mill
29.1.52

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Early to mid-C17 with probably C18 addition, partially
rebuilt and extended in the C19 and further altered in the mid C20. Timber
framed with painted brick nogging, partially rebuilt in rendered rubblestone
and painted brick; plain tile roof with catslide over partial outshut at
rear. T-plan; 2 framed bays aligned approximately east-west with addition
to west and wing to north. Framing: square panels (3 from sole-plate to
wall-plate) with long straight tension braces. One storey and attic,
2 storeys and gable-lit attic. 2 gabled full dormers to right with early
C20 3-light leaded wooden casements; large brick ridge stack off-centre
to right (rebuilt above roof in late C20) and C20 external brick end stack
to left (replacing old stack). 3-window front; first-floor C19 3-light
leaded wooden casement to left and ground-floor C20 three- and 4-light wooden
casements to right; 3-light window and boarded door to left behind C20
lean-to addition also with 3-light window and boarded door. Right-hand
return front has central half-glazed door with early C19 panelled surround
and bracketed porch; exposed collar and tie-beam truss above with queen struts
and v-struts, C19 two-storey gabled wing at rear with dentil brick eaves
cornice. Two C20 gabled dormers at rear. Interior: timber framed
square-panelled cross-walls with tension braces; chamfered beams and joists
with ogee stops; open fireplace; ground-floor room to right with painted
probably C19 panelling; roof has collar and tie-beam trusses with queen
struts, and single purlins with wind braces. A corn mill and fulling mill
had been established here by 1581. The house forms part of a complete mill
group including the former mill (qv) and stables (qv) to the south, and a
large barn to the west (qv). A mid-C20 photograph kept in the house shows
it before the later C20 alterations. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.307; D. T. Merry,
The History of Minsterley, p.28.


Listing NGR: SJ3658303167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.