This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0226 / 51°1'21"N
Longitude: -2.9678 / 2°58'4"W
OS Eastings: 332215
OS Northings: 125248
OS Grid: ST322252
Mapcode National: GBR M6.HZXX
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ND.ZJC
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270813
Location: North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: North Curry
Built-Up Area: North Curry
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/09/2017
NORTH CURRY CP
(Formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse, NORTH CURRY)
Farmhouse. Dated 1570, part of left gable end and adjoining left hand bay on facade possibly rebuilt when house reroofed c1840. Coursed blue lias partially rendered, Ham stone dressings, shallow pitched slate roof, overhanging eaves with soffit board on facade, coped verges left gable end, brick stacks gable ends and to right of cross passage.
Plan: Three-cell and cross passage, coeval corridor at rear of hall, agricultural wing to rear.
Two storeys, five bays, mostly painted stone mullions all under hood moulds, mostly original, chamfered plinth to right of entrance, first floor left three-light C19 window, two-light ovolo moulded mullioned window above entrance, similar three-light to right, two two-lights beyond, ground floor two three-light windows left, first with date 1570 on hoodmould terminal, relieving arches to entrance and three windows right, ovolo moulded two and four-light windows, the latter both with one blocked light, moulded Tudor arch head doorway with moulded jambs, hoodmould and unidentified coat of arms on tablet above with initial W V, (it has been suggested that the coat of arms belongs to the Sealy family), early door.
Right return: small stair light in gable end, piece of Ham stone tracery reset in wing to rear. Rear elevation: unpainted stone three-light ovolo moulded window under hoodmould flanked right by good moulded Tudor arch head doorway with moulded jambs to rear of cross passage, left chamfered stone Tudor arch head doorway, early door, to hall corridor.
Interior: chamfered depressed Tudor arch head wooden doorframe to hall, inner room (kitchen) with large chamfered lintel to fireplace, lower end fine Ham stone moulded Tudor arch head chimney piece with spandrels, which might have been reset from hall since one would expect the kitchen at the lower end, and this gable end has probably been rebuilt. The hall corridor seens to be an early feature which is also unusual. Roof trusses not seen, thought to be C19 but remains of earlier trusses may be visible in roof space. A very interesting house and if date on hoodmould correct, a very early example of ovolo moulded mullion windows in Somerset. A watercolour of 1850 by Wheatly in the Braikenridqe Collection, Taunton Museum, shows different fenestration in the end two bays right and the C19 roof in situ.
Listing NGR: ST3221525248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings