History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Block (Former Stable), Redlynch Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0962 / 51°5'46"N

Longitude: -2.4306 / 2°25'50"W

OS Eastings: 369939

OS Northings: 133078

OS Grid: ST699330

Mapcode National: GBR MY.CB04

Mapcode Global: FRA 56S7.4W6

Entry Name: West Block (Former Stable), Redlynch Park House

Listing Date: 28 November 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261646

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

BRUTON CP
ST63SE REDLYNCH
5/196 West Block
former stable), Redlynch Park
House
28.11.80
GV II

Stables, Coach House and Servants' Wing; formerly one of two matching; First half C18, modified 1913; built by
Nathaniel Ireson of Wincanton for Lord llchester. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; hipped
Welsh slate roof with stone slate base courses, behind parapets on South and East faces; red brick chimney stacks.
'U'-plan; 2 storeys with attics, South facade of 11 bays, of which the outer pairs project slightly. Plinth, lower cill
course, eaves band course and panelled solid parapets, rusticated quoins; 12-pane casement windows, top halves
pivotted, to ground floor, including bay 6, formerly a doorway, all set in plain ashlar surrounds with flat triple
keystoned heads; above 6-light sash windows in plain surrounds; clock tower to centre of roof with lead covered cuboid
base, clock dial on South, with octagonal lead roofed timber bill turret open on 4 main faces, surmounted by small
windvane; lead rainwater stackheads, one on East side dated 1902. Windows on West face have simple frames, cruciform
below, with almost square leaded panes - probably original form; to first floor at North end plain door and hoisting
tackle above; similar leaded windows to inner courtyard. Interiors not accessible. Block undergoing conversion to
flats, (October 1983).


Listing NGR: ST6993933078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.