This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6262 / 52°37'34"N
Longitude: -2.9867 / 2°59'12"W
OS Eastings: 333304
OS Northings: 303612
OS Grid: SJ333036
Mapcode National: GBR B6.7RC8
Mapcode Global: WH8C3.3801
Entry Name: Fragment of Wall Approximately 30 Metres of Leigh Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257467
Location: Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Worthen with Shelve
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Worthen
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
WORTHEN C.P. LEIGH
SJ 30 Sl4
5/136 Fragment of wall
- approx. 30m north
of Leigh Hall Farmhouse
Fragment of wall. Probably C14 or C15. Roughly coursed and dressed
quartzite and limestone rubble on rough plinth. Approximately 2.5m
high and 5m long with right-angled turn to south-west. Forms part
of wall which formerly ran around inner edge of rectangular moated
house platform, c.80 x 30m. Apart from the upstanding fragment, only
the footings of the wall survive, including those of the gatehouse
near the present causewayed entrance on the north-west side. The moat
itself is well preserved on 3 sides and is water filled. The site
was abandoned in late 1660s, possibly after damage in the Civil War,
when the present Leigh Hall Farmhouse (q.v.) was built to replace it.
Several stones from the buildings, which formerly occupied the site,
have been reused in the boundary wall and farmbuildings (not included)
to south-east. Salop County Sites and Monuments Record; PRN 1611.
Listing NGR: SJ3330403612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings