History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Towers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0907 / 51°5'26"N

Longitude: -2.4506 / 2°27'2"W

OS Eastings: 368540

OS Northings: 132468

OS Grid: ST685324

Mapcode National: GBR MX.CJYK

Mapcode Global: FRA 56R7.P3C

Entry Name: The Towers

Listing Date: 28 November 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261651

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

In the entry for the following building:-
ST 63 SE BRUTON CP REDLYNCH

5/201 The Towers
(also known as Chequers Towers)

28.11.80 II

the grade and description shall be amended to read:

ST 63 SE BRUTON CP REDLYNCH
5/201 The Towers
(also known as Chequers Towers)

28.11.80 II*

Monumental gateway. Late C18. Coursed and dressed limestone with
Doulting stone dressings; no roofs. Gothick style. Twin circular
turrets with pointed Y-tracery openings having iron grilles on
roadside, with pointed arched openings opposite; quatrefoil openings
each side beneath cornice with pear-drop frieze and castellated
parapets, these being continued at a lower level surmounting the full-
height link wall between the turrets. Large central pointed-arched
archway flanked by shields with the Ilchester arms. Curved sweep walls
to either side terminating in octagonal ashlar piers with plinths and
coved projecting caps. Built by Lord Ilchester for the principal
entrance to Redlynch Park (qv), probably to impress George III who was
frequently there on his trips to Weymouth. Stephen Fox was elevated
to the peerage as Lord Ilchester in 1741, the builder of this gateway
being Henry-Thomas who succeeded to the title on his father's death
in 1776.

------------------------------------

BRUTON CP
ST63SE
REDLYNCH
5/201 The Towers
(also known as Chequer Towers)
28.11.80
II

Monunental gateway, C18. Local stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; no roofs. Twin circular turrets
with pointed 'Y'-tracery openings having iron grilles on roadside, with pointed arched openings opposite, above
quatrefoil openings each side, battlemented tops; full height link wall between turrets with ornamental cornice and
battlementing over large central pointed archway flanked by shields with the Ilchester arms. Curved sweep walls to
either side terminating in octagonal ashlar piers with plinths and coved projecting caps. Built by Lord Ilchester for
the principal entrance to Redlynch Park (qv), probably to impress George III, a frequent visitor there on his trips to
Weymouth. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).


Listing NGR: ST6854032467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.