History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beech House british Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot, Beech House (Nos. 2-6), Shropshire Union Canal (South East Side) (Llangollen Branch)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9024 / 52°54'8"N

Longitude: -2.8921 / 2°53'31"W

OS Eastings: 340090

OS Northings: 334256

OS Grid: SJ400342

Mapcode National: GBR 79.PCYM

Mapcode Global: WH89S.K90S

Entry Name: Beech House british Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot, Beech House (Nos. 2-6), Shropshire Union Canal (South East Side) (Llangollen Branch)

Listing Date: 25 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176445

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260797

Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere

Listing Text

ELLESMERE RURAL

1585/18/98 BIRCH
17-SEP-02 2-6
BEECH HOUSE
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
BIRCH
BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENA
NCE DEPOT, BEECH HOUSE (NOS. 2-6), SHR
OPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE)
(LLANGOLLEN BRANCH)

GV II*
Canal office, now flats. 1806 adjoining William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal; later additions and alterations. Red brick; hipped slate roofs, splayed to semi-circular projection at north-west corner; prominent ridge stacks. Main block of 3 x 2 bays with semi-circular projection to rear right corner and projection with slightly later attached service wings and outbuildings set back to left. 2 storeys with painted dentilled eaves cornice. East front: 3 windows; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads except for late C19 canted bay to lower left. Central entrance; pedimented doorcase, 6-paned double doors with wreathed and radiating fanlight. Semi-circular projection has 5 glazing bar sashes to first floor and 4 to ground floor with pedimented doorcase in second bay from left, several of windows blind. The committee room of the canal company was on the ground floor of the semi-circular projection overlooking the 3 branches of the canal.
HISTORY: This fine example of a canal office is prominent in views of this notable and historically important canal yard, the best-preserved complex of its type in Britain. It was very probably built to the designs of Telford and Jessop, canal engineers being traditionally responsible for a wide range of structures from the trim (lettering and mileposts) to locks and keepers' houses. All canal companies had maintenance yards for work on boats, locks, paddle gearing and other aspects of the working fabric of inland waterways.

(Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), p. 49)

SJ4009034253

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.