This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6877 / 52°41'15"N
Longitude: -2.9861 / 2°59'10"W
OS Eastings: 333439
OS Northings: 310461
OS Grid: SJ334104
Mapcode National: GBR B6.3RJ9
Mapcode Global: WH8BQ.3P9W
Entry Name: Marche Manor
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259014
Location: Westbury, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Westbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 31 SW WESTBURY C.P. MARCHE LANE
29.1.52 Marche Manor
Farmhouse. Late C16 with additions of c. 1604 and of the late C17;
restored for F.W. Wateridge c. 1898. Timber framed with plastered
infill panels on coursed sandstone rubble and red brick plinth; plain tile
roof. Hall range of 2 framed bays, projecting gabled cross-wing to left
of 3 framed bays and later gabled wing at rear to right. 2 storeys and
attic. Framing: closely-spaced studs with middle rail; cross-wing
with long straight tension braces, first floor jettied on all sides
with moulded bresummer, and jettied gable end with moulded bresummer,
carved brackets, curved-sided lozenge panels, and late C19 finial dated
1604; right-hand end of hall range with first-floor parallel diagonal
braces forming lozenge patterns, and gable end with jettied first floor.
Large external brick end stack to left with 2 star-shaped shafts and
pitched-roofed link to attic, and lateral brick stack at rear with 3
star-shaped shafts. 3-window front; late C19 wooden mullioned and
transomed diamond-leaded casements; first-floor window to right and
first-floor window in gable end with moulded cills, possibly the remains
of former oriel windows; late C19 nail-studded boarded door between
first and second windows from right with strap hinges and 3-part
rectangular overlight. Lean-to additions at rear. Interior: hall
with chamfered beams, carved scrolled brackets, moulded cornice, fluted
post as pilaster to north with carved scrolled bracket; inglenook
fireplace altered in the late C19 but incorporating C17 carved panels
and other work; dining room with ogee-stopped chamfered beams, and open
fireplace with store reveals and overmantel with some C17 work and
painted rural scene (probably formerly part of a larger painting);
drawing room with ogee-stopped chamfered beams, moulded cornice, and
corner fireplace with reused C17 panelling and early C19 (?) surround;
first floor with chamfered jowl posts, moulded cornice, screen with
reused C17 panelling and balusters, and C17 panelled door with fluted
frieze; staircase with turned balusters; roof with single purlins,
and collar and tie-beam trusses with V-struts. The house was the
Gough family home from the late C15 until the C18 and it was probably
Thomas Gough (I) who added the early C17 cross wing. It became
cottages in the C19 until it was bought by F.W. Wateridge in 1892.
The house stands within a moated site . B.O.E., p. 196; V.C.H.
Vol. VIII, pp. 304-5 and 315-6; F.E. Forrest FLS, Some old Shropshire
houses and their owners (1924,),pp 7-16; C. Ryan, The evolution of the
peasant house in Shropshire. Medieval - c.1850. The Parish of Westbury,
Unpublished thesis (October 1979), Manchester University, pp. 119-20.
Listing NGR: SJ3343910461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings