History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hare Street House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hormead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9496 / 51°56'58"N

Longitude: 0.0217 / 0°1'17"E

OS Eastings: 539037

OS Northings: 229830

OS Grid: TL390298

Mapcode National: GBR LB8.L9M

Mapcode Global: VHHLD.B898

Entry Name: Hare Street House

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176454

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160291

Location: Hormead, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hormead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3929 HORMEAD HARE STREET
(East side)

12/70 Hare Street House
19.10.51

GV II*

House. C16 or early C17 N wing of house with kitchen wing to rear (NE),
incorporated into tall double-pile house of later C17 probably built for
William Brand between 1673 and his death in 1676, brick front early-mid
C18 for Houblon family or for William Benn Sheriff of Herts 1739, Lord
Mayor of London 1747, died 1755, internal alteration 1904-14 for Robert
Hugh Benson, restored 1962 for Cardinal Godfrey. Timber frame plastered
with panelled pargetting, red brick front and a hipped old red tile roof
with gabled NE rear wings. A large 2-storeys and attics double-pile
plan house facing W set back behind a high wall. Fine C17 octagonal tall
red brick chimneys with moulded caps and bases in 2 groups of 2 and 3 in
N range. Symmetrical red brick W front 5 windows wide with plinth, floor
band, moulded cornice and parapet concealing 3 hipped dormers. Flat
gauged arches and sash windows with 6/6 panes. Pedimented doorcase with
Roman Doric pilaster. Interior has 2 Tudor arched fireplaces in N wing
on 1st floor, early C18 boxed sash window with thick ovolo moulded
glazing bars on 1st floor at S end, with double hung shutters in a box
below the sill, and a moulded dado, panelled staircase at rear with
carving and wood sculptures by Gabriel Pippit, butt-purlin roofs
generally but clasped purlin roofs in N range and attached to NE a
former 2-bay kitchen with inserted floor but cambered tie-beam with
slots for arched braces and a clasped purlin roof. Associated with
R.H. Benson who lived and worked here from 1903/4 up to his death in
1914. (RCHM (1911)103 No. 8: VCH (1914)69: Pevsner (1977)156: Jackson
(1983)17).


Listing NGR: TL3903729830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.