This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.357 / 52°21'25"N
Longitude: -3.0145 / 3°0'52"W
OS Eastings: 331006
OS Northings: 273697
OS Grid: SO310736
Mapcode National: GBR B5.SQHM
Mapcode Global: VH76P.P0QZ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176468
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257684
Location: Stowe, Shropshire, LD7
Civil Parish: Stowe
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Stowe
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
STOWE C.P. STOWE
SO 37 SW
- Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Probably mid-C13 with late C17 bellcote, restored in late
C19, when chancel was rebuilt. Uncoursed limestone rubble with regularly
coursed and dressed rubble to south and east walls of chancel; plain tile
roofs with ornamental cresting, hipped to west end of nave; weatherboarded
belfry has pyramidal slate cap. Nave with west belfry, chancel, south porch
and north vestry. Belfry: weatherboarded with more distinctly overlapping
boards to bell-stage: square on plan. Nave. Windows all late C19. South
side has 2 pairs of cinquefoil-headed lancets to east of porch and one trefoil-
headed lancet to west. Gabled stone porch has outer ogee- headed wooden
arch and inner plain pointed C19 doorway. Armorial shield inset in wall
to right of porch has date "(1)581" and initials "IH" in raised lettering.
West window with paired lancets and roundel above has hoodmould and label-
stops and gable piercing eaves. North wall has 2 cusped lancets to west.
Vestry at north-east end with paired cusped lancets in west wall. Chancel
has 2 cusped lancets in south wall and east window of 3 stepped broad cusped
lancets. Interior. Main feature is heavily restored, probably C17, arch-
braced collar beam roof, which has arch-braces alternating with slightly cambered
moulded tie beams having vertical struts supporting collars; both types of
truss with v-struts from collar. 6 bays to nave and 2 bays to chancel, latter
roof almost entirely rebuilt in C19. Double purlins and 2 tiers of quatrefoil-
shaped windbraces. Division between nave and chancel marked by heavier tie
beam with braces beneath pierced by C19 cusped tracery, part of double truss
adapted to give impression of rood screen in C19. Majority of fittings and
furnishings including benches, pulpit and octagonal font are mid-to late C19.
Partly Jacobean communion table with fluted underside. Stained glass.
West window 1887 and west windows on north and south c.1859. Glass in chancel
more notable: east window in memory of Revd. John Rogers (died 1878) looks
similar in style and date to south-east and south-west windows (1893 and 1895
respectively): in the Walter Crane style, possibly by Powell's. Arts and
Crafts style reredos also by Powell's in memory of Rogers's fifth son, George
Frank Van Zõelen Rogers (died 1901). Mosaic and marble with copper and mother
of pearl. Depicts St. Michael on left and St. George on right. Monuments
in similar style to Charlotte Victoria (died 1911), wife of Revd. John Rogers
(north wall) and to his fourth son, Arthur de Norbury (died 1862, aged one
day) (south wall), latter probably retrospective. Contemporary black and
white marble floor to chancel, including sanctuary. B.o.E. pp. 298-9; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901), p.426.
Listing NGR: SO3100673697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings