This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9365 / 52°56'11"N
Longitude: -2.5284 / 2°31'42"W
OS Eastings: 364579
OS Northings: 337805
OS Grid: SJ645378
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.M4B3
Mapcode Global: WH9BX.4G75
Entry Name: Number 2, Tittenley Lodge
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260322
Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Adderley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NW ADDERLEY C.P. TITTENLEY
SJ 6457 3780
5/19 No. 2 , Tittenley Lodge
Entrance lodge. 1885, attributed to Richard Norman Shaw but possibly by
W.R. Lethaby. Finely-jointed orange brick with yellow/grey sandstone ashlar
dressings. Pyramidal lead roof. Square plan. Neo-Georgian style.
2 storeys. Chamfered quoins and moulded dentil eaves cornice with blocking
course. Central brick stack with stone base, flush stone quoins and stone
coping with globe corner finials. First-floor small-paned Diocletian window
with 2-light casement and gauged-brick head. Half-glazed door off-centre
to right with 2 panels (lower beaded flush and upper moulded recessed) and
small square window to left Wide flat porch on deep shaped brackets (with
later supports) and 5 stone steps up to door with coped low flanking walls.
Return fronts, each with first-floor Diocletian window above ground-floor
Venetian window consisting of small-paned lights divided by brick piers,
stone cill, and gauged brick head with moulded dripstone or cornice. Garden
wall at rear with moulded coping. Interior of lodge not inspected.
This lodge and No. 1 , Tittenley Lodge flank the beginning of the public road
which passes through Shavington Park (Shavington Hall demolished 1959).
Richard Norman Shaw carried out alterations at Shavington Hall for Arthur
Pemberton Heywood-Lonsdale in 1885-6 but in 1903 Ernest Newton also worked
at the house and probably designed other estate buildings (Nos. 7 and 8
Shavington, Moreton Say C.P. q.v.) and it has been suggested (Dr. Richard
Morrice 1986) that he may have also designed the lodges. Andrew Saint,
Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), pp. 241-3 and p.430; Godfrey Rubens, William Richard Lethaby. y.
Tim Mowl and Brian Earnshaw, Trumpet at Distant Gate, London, pp: 178-
9 and p. 181.
Listing NGR: SJ6457937805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings