This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.902 / 52°54'7"N
Longitude: -2.9296 / 2°55'46"W
OS Eastings: 337569
OS Northings: 334241
OS Grid: SJ375342
Mapcode National: GBR 78.P8VG
Mapcode Global: WH89R.ZB43
Entry Name: Hardwick Hall Including Balustraded Terraces Attached to Flanking Wings
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260815
Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. HARDWICK
SJ 33 SE
8/115 Hardwick Hall including
- balustraded terraces
attached to flanking wings
27.5.53 (formerly listed as
Country house. Circa 1720-30 for John Kynaston, possibly by Francis Smith
of Warwick; C19 additions and alterations. Red brick, painted to left
and right on ground floor, with sandstone ashlar facing to centre section;
hipped open-well slate roof concealed by high eaves parapet. Main range
rectangular with flanking semi-circular walls (screening later additions)
linking with projecting wings, left stable-block and right service range.
3 storeys. South (former entrance) front: 2:3:2 bays with rusticated
stone quoin strips and Corinthian pilasters flanking segmental-pedimented
centre section; floor bands and moulded stone eaves cornice. Glazing
bar sashes with gauged heads, projecting keystones and brick aprons to outer
bays on first and second floors, in moulded stone architraves with
projecting keystones and aprons to centre section, centre window on first
floor a 'dummy' with husked garlands to sides and carving of head in place
of keystone. Central segmental pediment has Kynaston family coat-of-arms
with superscribed motto "DEUS ES NOBIS SOL ET ENSIS" to flowing ribbon.
Ground floor has C19 four-paned sashes, those to outer bays with brick
aprons and those to centre section extending to ground, middle in position
of former doorway with flanking Corinthian columns. Rectangular red
brick stacks to left and right of pediment have 2 recessed panels to sides
and one to front and rear with moulded stone capping. Similar stacks
behind. Single-storey polygonal projection to right corner has pediment
to front partly concealing splayed slate roof. 3 French casements in
moulded stone architraves with projecting keystones and floor band above.
Attached to right is semi-circular wall with ramped stone coping: 3 blind
round-headed arches with continuous stone impost band links with right wing.
Red brick; steep-pitched hipped graded slate roof with prominent stack to
central open well. 5 x 5 bays, slightly shorter to south. 2 storeys and
attic with moulded stone plinth, eaves cornice, alternating rusticated
angle quoins and brick floor band. West side has 5 segmental-headed
casements to first floor and 4 taller casements to ground floor, 2 to
either side of central entrance with panelled double doors and segmental-
headed overlight. All windows are multi-paned with mixture of cast-iron
and wooden lights. Three 2-light leaded dormers in roof slope, left and
right with triangular pediments, centre segmental. South side has 5
segmental-headed window openings on each floor, taller to ground floor,
all with glazing bar sashes except for first from left on first floor and
left and first from left on ground floor, which are blind and centre on
ground floor which has inserted doorway. Former laundry attached to east.
Mid-to late C19. Red brick; hipped slate roof with wooden louvre to
right. Single storey with 3 cast-iron latticed windows to front. This
is linked to mid-C19 game larder. Red brick; hipped slate roof with
ventilated louvre to right. Large wire-meshed windows. C20 conservatory
(not of special architectural interest) on site of C19 conservatory attached
to left corner of main range is linked to semi-circular wall on left, very
similar to that on right. This in turn is attached to left projecting wing,
almost identical to right wing, except that it has boarded double doors,
eaves cornice is wooden and has greater number of blind openings to south side.
Former stack with round-headed arches to sides has clock to east side,
weathervane and moulded stone capping. Left return of main range in 5
bays with pilaster buttress between second and third windows from left.
Aprons to second-floor windows and several blind windows throughout.
Similar arrangement to right return except that buttress is continued upto
form external lateral stock. Various C18 and C19 outbuildings and walls
attached to both sides. North elevation: 4:1:4 bays with rusticated
quoin strips, cornice, parapet and floor bands carried round from returns
(although bands are of stone to this side). Glazing bar sashes (18-
paned to first floor) with gauged heads, projecting keystones and aprons
to first and second floors, those to centre in moulded stone architraves.
Ground floor has C19 half-glazed door to left with 2 'dummy' 18-paned
glazing bar sashes to right. Early C19 canted bay projection immediately
to left of centre has 3 six-paned sash windows and dentilled cornice
below parapet. Sandstone ashlar conservatory attached to right with plain
pilasters separating windows and flanking projecting entrance is also early
C19. Flanking single-storey 3-bay projections to either end are also C19,
left with 15-paned glazing bar sashes and right with French casement to
left and 2 large blind windows, painted in imitation to right. C19
terrace to south front between projecting wings has semi-circular bow to
each end and central flight of 9 steps. Square sandstone piers, those to
steps with urns, and cast-iron vase-shaped balusters. Interior. Much
altered in C19 and to lesser extent in C20 but retains original double-
pile plan on first and second floors. Original open-well staircase in rear
left corner of main range, rising to second floor. 3 twisted balusters to
each tread, moulded handrail (ramped to newels), carved open string and
panelled dado. Back staircase with turned balusters probably also C18.
Left ground-floor room has C18 plaster ceiling and fluted Ionic pilasters
flanking entrance from it into front centre room. Room behind also has
plaster ceiling and Corinthian pilasters; plaster friezes and cornices
also to these rooms. First-and second-floor rooms, approached off full-
length corridor, have panelled doors and window shutters. Occasional plain
moulded stone fireplaces and Coalbrookdale cast-iron grates. Wide boarded
floor boards. Original kitchens and former wine cellars in semi-basement.
Stable block (left projecting wing) has several loose-boxes, those with
ball finials to wooden posts probably C18. Staircases also C18, flight
from first floor to attic with turned balusters and moulded handrail. When
the terrace was built in C19 it replaced a flight of steps leading up to
central entrance and blocked the semi-basement windows. The attribution
to Francis Smith is on stylistic grounds. A pair of C18 gate piers with
contemporary wrought-iron gates, which lay to the west of the house, have
now been removed. B.O.E. pp. 138-9; CL (15th June 1918), XLIII, 550;
Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980),
pp. 90-1; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), p. 359 ff.
Listing NGR: SJ3756934241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings