This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6799 / 52°40'47"N
Longitude: -2.6792 / 2°40'44"W
OS Eastings: 354180
OS Northings: 309353
OS Grid: SJ541093
Mapcode National: GBR BM.493J
Mapcode Global: WH8BV.TWDW
Entry Name: Entrance Screen and East and West Front Lodges to Attingham Park
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Last Amended: 17 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259229
Location: Atcham, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Atcham
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Atcham St Eata
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 50 NW ATCHAM C.P. A5, ATCHAM (north side)
5/4 Entrance screen and East
29.1.52 and West Front Lodges to
Attingham Park (formerly
listed as Attingham Park
Entrance screen and lodges. Circa 1805-7, probably by John Nash, with later
additions to lodges. Grey sandstone ashlar. 5 bays; AABAA rhythm. Large
central carriage arch flanked by pedestrian arches and small square lodges.
Moulded plinth, frieze, cornice and blocking course; banded rusticated
piers with swagged urn-finials. Central round arch with imposts, moulded
architrave, scrolled keystone and carved bas reliefs in spandrels depicting
a winged horse to left and stag to right; pair of flanking Doric half-
columns, frieze inscribed: "QUI : UTI : SCIT : EI : BONA", and dentil cornice,
breaking forward over columns with architrave and carved lion masks; blocking
course and stepped plinth to centre. Outer pedestrian arches with imposts
and moulded architrave. Wrought iron gates: radial design with central
patera and thistle-head railings; large central pair with top rails ramped
up to hanging bars with urn finials; smaller single gates in pedestrian
arches. Lodges: 2 storeys; integral octagonal corner stacks with banded
rustication and moulded caps. Shallow recessed arches to front with contin-
uous impost band, moulded architrave, pair of narrow ground-floor sashes and
first-floor lunette above. Return fronts with cill string to first-floor
glazing bar sash and ground-floor 4 flush-panelled door. Later addition at
rear of each. The entrance screen and flanking screen walls (q.v.) were
probably part of the improvements to the Attingham Estate carried out in the
years after 1800 for the second Lord Berwick by John Nash and Humphry Repton.
The entrance screen is flanked by lower screen walls with end piers (q.v.).
Attingham Park, The National Trust (1981), p.30.
Listing NGR: SJ5418009353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings