History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall with Remains of Pulpit Approximately 10 Metres to East of Convent Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Tong, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6566 / 52°39'23"N

Longitude: -2.299 / 2°17'56"W

OS Eastings: 379869

OS Northings: 306584

OS Grid: SJ798065

Mapcode National: GBR 073.FKT

Mapcode Global: WH9DC.NHF7

Entry Name: Wall with Remains of Pulpit Approximately 10 Metres to East of Convent Lodge

Listing Date: 26 May 1955

Last Amended: 1 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255315

Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Tong

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Albrighton

Listing Text

SJ 70 NE
6/38

TONG C.P.
NEWPORT ROAD (West side),

Wall with remains of Pulpit approximately 10 metres to East of Convent Lodge

26.5.55

GV II

Wall and wall pulpit. Wall dated 1821, pulpit probably 1765, by 'Capability' Brown. Squared and coursed sandstone with ashlar pulpit. Approximately 40 metres long and 1.5 metres high. 2 groups of triple quatrefoiled segmental-arched niches with carved spandrels; 8 carved square panels including butterfly, flower, mitre, crown, circle with cross, and shields. Alternating pierced Latin and St. Andrew's crosses (qv. North gates with flanking walls to Tong Castle, Wall at Tong Norton). Left-hand end pier and approximately 6 metres of the wall have collapsed but remain in pieces on the ground, including a square panel with a carved flower; Right-hand end pier was removed along with circa 1765 gates, gatepiers and flanking walls,to Marston Road, Wolverhampton in the late 1970s. Remains of central octagonal wall pulpit with chamfered base and carved rosette at foot. Superstructure has collapsed but remains in pieces on the ground to front and back of the wall. A C19 illustration (Griffith) shows a coping in the form of a serpent at the base of the pulpit, this is not evident in the collapsed remains. There was a similar structure on a wall in Tong Norton until it was removed in circa 1890; both pulpits were probably inspired by the early C14 refectory pulpit at St. Mary's Abbey Shrewsbury (qv. Convent Lodge, North gates and flanking walls to Tong Castle, Remains of Tong Castle).

N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.304;
G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 154-61;
D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe, Waine Research Publication, 1980, pp. 56-7;
J. E. Auden, Some erroneous traditions, T.S.A.S. Vol. 49.


Listing NGR: SJ7986906584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.