History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Petsey Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke upon Tern, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8455 / 52°50'43"N

Longitude: -2.5413 / 2°32'28"W

OS Eastings: 363639

OS Northings: 327694

OS Grid: SJ636276

Mapcode National: GBR 7S.STDZ

Mapcode Global: WH9C8.YQ1X

Entry Name: Petsey Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260266

Location: Stoke upon Tern, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Stoke upon Tern

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke-upon-Tern St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longford

Listing Text

STOKE UPON TERN C.P. STOKE UPON TERN
SJ 6227-6327
14/109 Petsey Farmhouse
21.9.51
- II

Farmhouse. Early C16 and C17 (porch dated 1634) with C19 alterations and
mid-and late C20 partial rebuilding. Timber framed with red brick
nogging (mostly painted); partly rebuilt in painted brick. Plain tile
roof. Framing: C16 close studding (with middle rail to first floor) with
angle braces. C17 small square panels (3 from sole plate to wall plate) with
corner braces and tension braces. H-plan. Mostly C16; eastern cross-wing
rebuilt in C17. Two storeys. Hall range has jettied first floor with chamfered
bressumer and brackets with carved ornament. Left-hand cross wing has jettied
first floor with moulded bressumer and shaped brackets from which ribs run
down framing to ground. Jettied gable above has bressumer with quarter-round
moulding and stops. Gable end rendered. Large brick ridge stack off-centre
to right consisting of 4 truncated shafts with projecting ribs; left-hand cross
wing with external lateral brick stack to left and integral brick corner stack
at rear with two C19 shafts. South front: 3-window front; C19 and C20 two-,
3-and 4-light wooden and wooden-framed metal casements. Central windows and
left-hand ground-floor window with C16 moulded wooden cills and C19 surrounds.
Probably C16 nail-studded boarded door off-centre to right with strap hinges and
quarter-round moulded architrave. Moulded bressumer above with billet ornament
and bracket to right. 2-storey timber framed gabled porch dated 1634. Round-
arched entrance with pair of flanking hewn brackets supporting jettied first-
floor with billet-ornamented and dated bressumer to front. First-floor C20
window with carved head on block beneath and evidence of former moulded cill.
Interior of porch has chamfered joists with ogee stops. Lean-to timber framed
infill to right of porch with boarded door to front. Right-hand cross wing with
segmental-headed boarded door and C20 brick porch with half-glazed door. Gable
has exposed collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts and V-struts. Rear
of western cross wing and further wing to west have restored gables with
parallel diagonal struts. Interior: hall ceiling frame consisting of very
large intersecting chamfered beams with stepped stops; chamfered and stopped
joists. Blocked large fireplace with chamfered and stopped lintel. Probably
C16 wall painting (black on white) in ground-floor front room of left-hand cross
wing; 2 panels of foliage and grotesque motifs, painted across studs now protected
behind 2 pairs of doors. First floor not inspected. The small C15 circular
Jesse window referred to by Cranage and Pevsner is no longer in the house. Much
of the outside walling of the house has been rebuilt (late C20), especially to
the north and west. The C20 framing has not incorporated the mouldings or
ornamental details (e.g. the west bressumer of the porch) of the C16 and C17
work. At the time of survey (March 1986) the first-floor south wall of the hall
range was in the process of rebuilding. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account
of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, pp 728-9; B.O.E., pp.297.


Listing NGR: SJ6363927694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.