This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.715 / 52°42'53"N
Longitude: -0.8543 / 0°51'15"W
OS Eastings: 477489
OS Northings: 313649
OS Grid: SK774136
Mapcode National: GBR BPJ.SYP
Mapcode Global: WHFKD.V0CZ
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189785
Location: Burton and Dalby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Burton and Dalby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Little Dalby (Burrough Hill Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 71 SE BURTON AND DALBY off CHURCH LANE
10/13 Church of St.James
Parish church. Tower rebuilt, transepts added and the remainder
remodelled by R. Brandon, 1851. Coursed and squared ironstone
rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs.
Chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, eaves with ballflowers,
masks, fleurons and gargoyles. Coped gables with kneelers,
finials and crosses. Windows are Decorated and Perpendicular
traceried lancets with moulded reveals, hood moulds and masks
stops. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle,
south aisle, north and south transepts, chancel, south porch.
West tower, 3 stages, has deep plinth, 4 gabled angle buttresses
and foiled corbel table. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of
gabled lucarnes on the cardinal faces, the 2 lower tiers having Y
tracery. Above, finial and weathercock. First stage has, to
west, a double lancet. Second stage has on 3 sides, a single
lancet. Third stage has on each side, a double lancet bell
opening flanked by blank single lancets, with shafts and linked
hood moulds. Clerestory has on each side, 4 transomed triple
lancets. Buttressed north aisle, 3 bays, has at west end a
Decorated double lancet. North side has a slightly off-centre
moulded doorway with double shafts, flanked by single Decorated
triple lancets with depressed heads. Buttressed 3 bay south
aisle has at west end an ogee double lancet with Y tracery.
South side has to west a triple lancet and to east a foiled
single lancet. North transept has gabled angle buttresses and a
triple lancet to north. Above it, a cusped trefoil. To east, 2
cusped single lancets. Similar south transept has identical
fenestration. Chancel, 2 bays, has a single central buttress on
each side and to east, 2 gabled angle buttresses. North side has
2 double lancets. East end has a triple lancet with flowing
tracery. South side has, to west, 2 double lancets. Gabled and
buttressed south porch has coped gable with kneelers and cross.
Moulded doorway with fleurons, and a single lancet on each side.
Latticed wooden gates. Interior has 2 stone benches, common
rafter roof and multiple moulded doorway. Nave interior has
multiple moulded tower arch with hood mould and round responds.
Tower chamber has a coffered ceiling and a stained glass memorial
west window, 1852. Nave arcades, 3 bays, have round and
octagonalpiers and responds, moulded bases and capitals, and
moulded arches with hood moulds and foliate stops. Moulded low
pitched roof with arch braces, struts and wall shafts on large
angel corbels. North and south aisles have at east end a double
chamfered archway and moulded roofs with arch braces, traceried
spandrels and foliate corbels. North aisle eastern window has
memorial stained glass, 1851. South aisle west end window has
memorial stained glass, 1875. Remaining windows have mid C19
stained glass attributed to Hardman. North and south transepts
each have heavily moulded arches with hood moulds and mask
corbels, and continuous sill bands. Gable windows have shafts
and hood moulds and mid C19 stained glass. Elaborate arch-braced
principal rafter roofs with foliate corbels. North transept roof
has traceried wall plate with angel bosses. Chancel has filleted
moulded arch with hood mould and triple shaft responds on large
angel corbels. Panelled dado, 1904, and moulded sill band. East
end has window with shafts, hood mould and poorly preserved
stained glass, probably by Hardman. South side has to east, C14
style ogee piscina and C13 style graduated sedilia, both with
hood moulds, and a window with stained glass by Kempe, 1886.
Elaborate arch-braced principal rafter roof with large foliate
canopied corbels, 4 of them with masks. Fittings of 1852 include
a font with clustered shaft stem and round bowl with high relief
figure panel. Carved, traceried octagonal pulpit, traceried
reading desk, moulded benches, and choir stalls with shaped backs
and bookstands with poppyheads. C17 table with turned legs.
Organ, 1904. Memorials comprise 20 brasses, early C19 to early
C20, all to the Hartopp family.
Listing NGR: SK7748913649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings