History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych Gate Approximately 30 Metres South-West of Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8567 / 52°51'24"N

Longitude: -3.0585 / 3°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 328826

OS Northings: 329331

OS Grid: SJ288293

Mapcode National: GBR 73.S1KZ

Mapcode Global: WH78R.ZGR9

Entry Name: Lych Gate Approximately 30 Metres South-West of Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255576

Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry

Built-Up Area: Croesowallt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

282SJ9 SE OSWESTRY C.P. UPPER BROOK STREET
(north side)

15/102 Lych-gate approx. 30m
south-west of Church of
10.9.51 St. Oswald (formerly
listed as Lych-gate to
church)

GV II

Lych-gate. Dated 1631 with considerable later re-modelling. Timber
framed structure now supported on C18 walls, repaired late C20, stone
slate roof with wooden finials to gables. 4 gables, each with tie
beam and collar supported by 2 vertical struts (date 1631 carved on
northern collar); tie beams to north and south have slightly cambered
arch to centre with mortice and peg holes for former vertical posts.
Low stone wall on south side has early C19 cast-iron railings with
urn-capped standards and position of gate to centre. Formerly an
entrance to the town's grammar school [now Nos. 1 to 3, Church Terrace
(q.v.)]; said to be known locally as the Griddle Gate.


Listing NGR: SJ2882729332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.