This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8122 / 51°48'43"N
Longitude: 0.1468 / 0°8'48"E
OS Eastings: 548085
OS Northings: 214797
OS Grid: TL480147
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.7YC
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.HQG4
Entry Name: The Clock House
Listing Date: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160817
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
(The Clock House)
TL 4808 1479:3/7
Early C18 L-shaped timberframed 2 storey house facing S and W, extended by
parallel range on N of S range in mid C18 to give compact hipped roof block
with entrance on road front to E. C19 remodelling of E front in 2 stages,
and parallel 2 storey extension of N side. Formerly separate C19,2 storey
weatherboarded and hipped slate roof block on W now linked to house and to
late C18,2 storey stable block, weatherboarded with hipped slate roof and
central gable on E, at SW corner of house. Large internal chimney 1/3 from
W end of S range. Later stacks at rear walls of rooms in E front. S
front weatherboarded. 3 windows irregularly spaced. Flush box sashes.
8/8 panes to 1st floor (renewed). Gd floor windows altered. 3 blocked
doorways. Modern door near E end. E front has 3 windows and central door.
the oldest feature is a carpenters' Gothic porch of c.1770 with coupled
wooden colonnettes with 2 annulets in this height, moulded caps and bases
and a coved and arched entablature around a wide flat hood with parallel
soffit. The upper windows are early C19 flush box sashes with moulded
architraves. At centre 3/3 panes. At sides 3 light sashes 2/2:6/6:2/2.
Later C19 remodelling has added bracketed eaves cornice. Frieze broken
over windows. Paired brackets, 2 large single storey polygonal bay windows
of brick stuccoed and with Portland stone cills, pilasters between plate
glass sash windows, chamfered and stopped lintols, and bracketed eaves
overhang to lead hipped roofs. Later C19 panelled pilasters flanking 4
panel door with small coloured glass fanlight. Stable block is weather-
boarded with modillioned eaves cornice. Wide central gable on E with
clock face and moulded raking cornice surmounted by arrow windvane. 2
pairs of large double doors, central and to S. Stable combined with
coach house. External stair to upper floor with 2, 8 paned low windows and
twinplank doors below gable. Interesting architectural complex in corner
position. OS 25" of 1879 marks house as Prospect House. Porch similar to
that at Sayesbury Manor council offices in Bell Street (S side).
Listing NGR: TL4808514797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings