This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0253 / 51°1'31"N
Longitude: -2.9922 / 2°59'32"W
OS Eastings: 330507
OS Northings: 125570
OS Grid: ST305255
Mapcode National: GBR M5.HRRP
Mapcode Global: FRA 46MD.N2Z
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270839
Location: North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: North Curry
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
NORTH CURRY CP
Farmhouse. Late medieval, ceiled C16 and hall fireplace inserted, east gable end partly rebuilt with date 1626, west gable end demolished and building extended one room beyond, altered internally C18, restored late C20. Graduated, squared and coursed local grey sandstone, parts of cob including gable ends, thatched roof hipped to right, brick stacks right and to left of cross passage.
Plan: open hall ceiled to three-cell and cross passage, extended one room west, outshot at rear in north-east corner against rebuilt wall. One and a half storeys, long facade, first floor windows rising from eaves, six-light wooden casement left, two-light right, ground floor C20 casements two three-light left and one right of entrance, remains of moulded head of four-centred arch doorframe cut when smaller door inserted, plain chamfered four-centred door frame to rear of cross passage.
Interior: right of cross passage chamfered beams and large chamfered bressumer dated 1636, large curing chamber to right lit on gable end, spice cupboard with fielded panel in southeast corner; to left six-panel compartment ceiling cut by rear corridor, moulded beam thought to be to earlier firehood and probably reset, grate now set back with stair beside, remains of plaster frieze on west wall, cupboard in north wall with fielded panels; two west rooms entered from rear, six-panel compartment ceiling with steeply chamfered beams in inner room with remains of similar plasterwork frieze, framed partition. Upper storey, evidence of full cruck and joint cruck truss roof with smoke blackening, east gable end room open to roof, said to have been a cheese room with remains of hoisting tackle. The two westerly rooms are used as agricultural buildings with ruins of stables adjoining, Also known as Lower Knapp Farm.
(VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1983).
Listing NGR: ST3050725570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings