History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych Gate, Bridge and Retaining Wall to Churchyard at Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Bayford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7627 / 51°45'45"N

Longitude: -0.1037 / 0°6'13"W

OS Eastings: 530960

OS Northings: 208813

OS Grid: TL309088

Mapcode National: GBR KC2.JKV

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.5Y0L

Entry Name: Lych Gate, Bridge and Retaining Wall to Churchyard at Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176674

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160626

Location: Bayford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bayford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bayford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bayford

Listing Text

TL 3008 BAYFORD CHURCH LANE
(West side)

5/18 Lych Gate, Bridge and
- Retaining Wall to churchyard
at Church of St. Mary

GV II


Lych gate, bridge and retaining wall. 1870-71 by Henry Woodyer as
outworks of St. Mary's Church he built for William Robert Baker of
Bayfordbury (q.v.). Oak frame, Kentish ragstone bridge and sidewalls,
wall of alternate bands of Kentish ragstone and red brick, hipped and
gabletted roof of red tile with wrought iron foliate cross on top. A
small square lych gate raised on the low parapets of the bridge over the
ha ha with banded retaining wall which was constructed as the new
boundary to the churchyard extended to SE and SW when the new church was
built to the S of the former church. 4 posts on sill beams N-S with
convex quadrant bracing to sill and arched bracing to wallplates N-S and
to 2 tie-beams E-W extending beyond wallplates with support from outer
braces from posts. Single-bay crown-post roof with square posts and
axial curved braces. Pierced boarding infill of gablets similar to
gabled vents in church roof. Ragstone infill wall between side-posts and
simple double gate. Special brick-on-edge red coping to retaining wall.
Pointed arch to watercourse under bridge.


Listing NGR: TL3096008813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.