History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8712 / 51°52'16"N

Longitude: 0.1683 / 0°10'5"E

OS Eastings: 549374

OS Northings: 221401

OS Grid: TL493214

Mapcode National: GBR MDR.MCB

Mapcode Global: VHHLV.V7VD

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176684

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160972

Location: Bishop's Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bishop's Stortford

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Stortford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hockerill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bishops Stortford

Listing Text

1.
5253 STANSTED ROAD
(East Side)


Church of All Saints
TL 4921 SW:4/79

II


2.
1936 by S E Dykes Bower. Rough limestone with ashlar dressings. West front to road
has tall, broad, central tower with steep, hipped, red tile roof. Three excessively
tall lancets beneath 2 smaller ones and eaves cornice. Flanking single storey aisles
have doors recessed in cinquefoil arches. Buttresses at angles and to aisle walls.
Steps and walls to front. Interior. Tall nave of 4 bays with giant drum piers and
pointed arches; coffered wagon roof. Aisless chancel has east rose window with
flowing tracery and 2 south windows of paired plain lancets beneath a multifoil
oculus. Four trefoiled sedilia. Aisles have paired lancets and steep coffered roofs.
C19 open timber lych gate at south west corner of churchyard with cruciform shingle
roof and traceried side panels. Part of original 1851 church, burnt 1935. The church
dominates the east aspect of the town. (Pevsner 2nd Ed Rev (1977) 102).


Listing NGR: TL4937421401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.