History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cow House Approximately 25 Metres to North West of Acorn Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Brewood and Coven, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.681 / 52°40'51"N

Longitude: -2.2446 / 2°14'40"W

OS Eastings: 383561

OS Northings: 309278

OS Grid: SJ835092

Mapcode National: GBR 183.WWV

Mapcode Global: WHBFB.HWC2

Entry Name: Cow House Approximately 25 Metres to North West of Acorn Cottage

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255328

Location: Brewood and Coven, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST19

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Brewood and Coven

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Wood St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Kiddemore Green

Listing Text

SJ 80 NW TONG C.P. OFFOXEY ROAD, Bishop's
Wood (North side)

7/2 Cow House approximately
- 25 metres to North-West of
Acorn Cottage.

GV II

Cow House. Circa 1818. Coursed rubble with gault and grey brick window
details,and old tile roof. Gothic style. 1 storey. Coped battlemented
parapeted gable ends. 2 straight-sided arched windows with crude brick
tracery flanking central blocked entrance with lintel and open straight-
sided arched tympanum; inserted boarded door to right partly destroying
the right-hand window. End elevations have large straight-sided arched
blind windows with Y-traceried brick panels. Stone plaque to South
inscribed: "RANDZ de VACHE". This is one of a series of eccentric
outbuildings erected on the Tong Estate by George Durant the younger.
Acorn Cottage to South (not listed) is dated 1818. (qv. Pig Sty to
North of Acorn Cottage, fowl house to West of Vauxhall Farmhouse,
kennels to East of the Red House, etc.). G. Griffith, History of Tong
and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 154-61; D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe,
Waine Research Publications, p.60.


Listing NGR: SJ8355809278

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.