This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7722 / 52°46'19"N
Longitude: -0.7863 / 0°47'10"W
OS Eastings: 481979
OS Northings: 320088
OS Grid: SK819200
Mapcode National: GBR CQC.025
Mapcode Global: WHFK1.WLR4
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189798
Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Freeby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Saxby with Stapleford and Wyfordby
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 82 SW FREEBY CHURCH LANE
1/26 Church of St.Peter
Parish church. Built 1789 to the designs of George Richardson.
Interior altered and reseated by J.Goddard, 1874. Restored 1980.
Limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings. West tower with spire,
nave and chancel. West tower, 3 stages, has 4 shallow clasping
buttresses, 2 moulded string courses and dentillated cornice.
First stage has to west, a round headed doorway with C19
shouldered door and overlight. Above it, a crest. North and
south sides have each a round headed window, that to north
blocked. Second stage has chamfered plinth incised '1789' to
west, and on each face a round window, that to north blocked.
Octagonal bell stage has 4 diagonal volutes, each topped with a
vase. On each face, a round headed louvred bell opening.
Octagonal needle spire has moulded base, ball finial and cross,
and on 2 tiers of round headed lucarnes, the lower tier louvred.
Nave, 3 bays, has plinth and string course, moulded eaves cornice
with gargoyles and coped parapet and gable. On each side, 3
round headed windows with leaded glazing. 2 bay chancel has
similar features to nave. North side has a central round headed
window. East end has a larger round headed window. South side
has to left, a blocked doorway and above it, a blocked window.
Interior has round porch under tower, with saucer dome. To east,
C19 doorway. To its left, stone winder stair. To its right, a
recessed panel. Bell stage has blocked opening to east. Nave
has sill band and low pitched matchboarded roof. Central window
to north has stained glass, 1898. Central window to south has
stained glass, late C19, by Hawkes of Birmingham. Other windows
have patterned stained glass. Chancel has chamfered round arch,
continuous sill band and C19 panelled dado. East end has wooden
reredos and gradine with swag ornament, segmental pediment and 2
angels. East window has late C19 stained glass. Low pitched
panelled roof has billeted wall plate. Fittings include late C19
pierced oak stalls and desks, oak lectern and square ashlar
pulpit with carved panels. C19 font, C15 style, with panelled
octagonal bowl. C19 pine benches with shaped ends and rosettes.
Memorials include brasses, c.1820 and 1918 and war memorial
Listing NGR: SK8197920088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings