History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dundon, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0897 / 51°5'23"N

Longitude: -2.7447 / 2°44'40"W

OS Eastings: 347942

OS Northings: 132532

OS Grid: ST479325

Mapcode National: GBR MJ.CNGJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 5647.NJX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262882

Location: Compton Dundon, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Compton Dundon

Built-Up Area: Dundon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Dundon

Listing Text

ST43SE COMPTON DUNDON CP PEAK LANE (West side)
DUNDON

1/77 Church of Saint Andrew

17.4.59

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14 chancel, remainder C15 with minimal C19 restoration. Local lias stone roughly squared with Ham
Stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with cross finials. 2 cell plan of 2-bay chancel
and 4-bay nave, with west tower, south porch and north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses with
offsets and central short buttress under east window, eaves course: east window has 5-lights with late geometric
tracery of uneven clover-leaf pattern, under pointed arched label with headstops and a quatrefoil gable vent; north
wall has 2 small cusped 2-light windows, one flat headed, one with quatrefoil in pointed arch with plain label; south
wall has 2 windows similar to this last, and between them a moulded pointed arched doorway with curl stopped label.
Nave has plinth,-bay buttresses, eaves course; on north cusped-light to pulpit recess, then three 3-light Perpendicular
traceried windows in shallow coved recesses; in the third-bay no window, but blocked moulded pointed arched doorway; to
south wall similar windows to 2 eastern bays, with additional small C17 window set high to east, and in same-bay a wall
monument with hood and simple swag surround to Katherine Coombe, died 1729; western Window also 3-light, but tracery a
mixture of reticulation and Perpendicular, under pointed arch label with plain stops; between these the simple south
porch, with corner buttresses, coped gable and C15 moulded pointed arches to inner and outer doorways, the inner door
of great age; rib and panel roof with ornate bosses, bench seats and stoup. North east corner vestry simple, with
2-light east window matching those of chancel. Tower of 3 stages; plinth, angled offset corner buttresses 2 storeys
high, string courses with gargoyles to top course, battlemented parapet; offset rectangular projection 2 stages high on
south east corner for stairs: moulded pointed arched doorway on west, with headstops to arched label; above in stage 2
a 3-light Perpendicular traceried window, and on south face a small rectangular window; to all faces of stage 3 are
paired cusped light openings without labels to flat heads, fitted with stone baffles: pyramidal tiled roof with
weathervane behind parapet. Chancel has some C19 work, including ceiling; C14 piscina linked to a 3 seater cusped ogee
arched sedilia; east window has label internally with head stops; chancel arch probably C15, double chamfered orders
running into plain chamfered jambs, with very wide low screen wall. Nave has moulded timber rib and panelled ceiling
with ornate basses, forming slightly pointed vault; simple piscina in south wall; the former roof loft stair in north
wall with semi-circular arched openings, also giving access to exceptional timber pulpit, dated 1628; panelled octagon,
with integral baluster screen and tester; to west end some C15 pews with plain bench ends; in tower arch an octagonal
font with plain bowl, shaft and base; by south door a stoup apparently linked to that outside in porch. Fittings
include 2 chests, one possibly C14, one late C16. In floor two C17 Keinton stone slab memorials to John Clacey, died
1640, and Joye Barker, died 1637.


Listing NGR: ST4794232532

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.