This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1895 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.5044 / 2°30'15"W
OS Eastings: 365614
OS Northings: 254706
OS Grid: SO656547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4CD2
Mapcode Global: VH856.J7WB
Entry Name: 16 and 18, Church Street
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 1 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151005
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/170 CHURCH STREET
16 AND 18
(Formerly listed as:
8 AND 9)
A pair of town houses dating from the early C19.
MATERIALS: it is constructed from stone, brought to course, with a slate roof and brick stack to centre and either gable end.
PLAN: it is roughly square on plan with attached outbuildings to the rear.
EXTERIOR: the building is of two storeys and four bays. The front (west) is roughly symmetrical. The doorway to right has deep panelled reveals set under a flat hood on heavy console brackets. It is flanked by 2/2 sash windows set in moulded cases. To the left (north) the doorway is set under a pedimented hood on shaped brackets, also flanked with 2/2 sash windows in moulded cases. To the first floor are 2/2 sash windows with moulded flush surrounds.
INTERIOR: Not inspected
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. Nos. 16 and 18 Church Street are situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, adjoining the church with the market square. It continues south into Sherford Street, and together they were known as Verterus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Shurford Streate in 1575. This central area of the town to the south of the church and around the market place appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
James D, Insight Historic Buildings Research, An Analysis of the Historic Fabric of Fifty Buildings in the Central Area of Bromyard, Herefordshire (2009)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: The building known as Nos. 16 and 18 Church Street is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the building is a good example of a pair of town houses of the early C19.
* Group value: with the numerous other listed buildings in Church Street
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings