History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Number 50 (Hampton Bank Bridge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9044 / 52°54'15"N

Longitude: -2.818 / 2°49'4"W

OS Eastings: 345080

OS Northings: 334424

OS Grid: SJ450344

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.P00C

Mapcode Global: WH89T.P897

Entry Name: Bridge Number 50 (Hampton Bank Bridge)

Listing Date: 25 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260851

Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Welshampton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Welshampton

Listing Text

The following structure was removed from the List on 5 August 1994:

ELLESMERE RURAL SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 43 SE (Llangollen Branch)

10/151 Bridge No 50 (Hampton Bank
Bridge)

------------------------------------

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 43 SE (Llangollen Branch)

10/151 Bridge No. 50 (Hampton
- Bank Bridge)
- II
Road bridge. Circa 1797 to 1801 with minor later alterations on William
Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Red brick with stone-coped
parapet terminating in square corner piers. Elliptical arch with
projecting keybricks, string course and painted cast-iron plate numbered
"50" on north side. Lean-to with round-headed arch to west on south side
formerly housed stop-planks used during repairs to canal. This section
of the Ellesmere Canal was completed c.1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company
amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the
Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands
(3rd edn. 1985), p. 173; Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal
(1975), pp. 19-20, 57.


Listing NGR: SJ4508034423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.