History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long's House and Outbuilding Abutting North and Abutting Wall Fronting Road with Lamp Standard

A Grade II Listed Building in North Curry, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0233 / 51°1'23"N

Longitude: -2.9672 / 2°58'1"W

OS Eastings: 332261

OS Northings: 125328

OS Grid: ST322253

Mapcode National: GBR M7.HS2V

Mapcode Global: FRA 46ND.ZT2

Entry Name: Long's House and Outbuilding Abutting North and Abutting Wall Fronting Road with Lamp Standard

Listing Date: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270864

Location: North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: North Curry

Built-Up Area: North Curry

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
North Curry

Listing Text

NORTH CURRY CP WHITE STREET (West side)
ST3225

11/81 Long's House and outbuilding
abutting north and abutting wall
fronting road with lamp standard
-

GV II

Farmhouse and workshop linked and enlarged to form dwelling with outbuilding. Probably C17, workshop dated 1762,
extensively altered and enlarged c1900. Squared and coursed local limestone and Ham stone ashlar, coped verge south
gable end, decorative ridge tiles, pyramid roof to 2-storey porch studio type addition, slate roofs, brick stacks gable
ends. Plan: uncertain without internal inspection, probably original L-plan dwelling set gable end onto road, lying
roughly west-east, south-west wing with 2 storey addition set in angle, detached workshop on east front linked to
dwelling late C19 when range reroofed. South-east front: one and a half storey south wing, rest 2-storey, 1:3:1 bays,
mixed fenestration, 3 cruciform windows with coloured glass first floor centre to porch addition, similar on ground
floor flanking entrance with double doors, to right ground floor 2 early C19 leaded iron casements; right return (east
elevation) fronting road 2:4 bays, C19 sash windows in gable end, door to right, workshop with 2-light unglazed
openings, raised and fielded panel above central entrance with date 1762, large square headed doorway with chamfered
architraves and plank door, lean-to one bay addition right. Wall: red brick with flat stone coping, about one metre
high, swept down from north-east gable end fronting garden and returned to south side. Good decorative wrought iron
lamp standard with curved supports.


Listing NGR: ST3226125328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.