History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stable Block

A Grade II* Listed Building in Atcham, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6861 / 52°41'10"N

Longitude: -2.6699 / 2°40'11"W

OS Eastings: 354814

OS Northings: 310037

OS Grid: SJ548100

Mapcode National: GBR BM.3Z9G

Mapcode Global: WH8BV.YRS3

Entry Name: The Stable Block

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 17 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259259

Location: Atcham, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Atcham

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Atcham St Eata

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wroxeter

Listing Text

SJ 51 SW and
SJ 50 NW ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK

3/33 and 5/33 The Stable Block (formerly
29.1.52 listed as Attingham Park
Stables)

GV II*

Stables, now offices and stores. Circa 1785, by George Steuart for the
first Lord Berwick. Red brick with grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar dressings,
and facing to south. Square courtyard plan with projecting pyramidal-roofed
corner pavilions. One storey and loft and 2 storeys. Glazing bar sashes
with gauged brick heads, some replaced by late C20 imitations. South front:
9 bays; 1:3:1:3:1 rhythm. Plinth; impost band to blind-arched arcading,
frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Glazing bar sashes with
blind lunettes above. Each end pavilion with plinth, corner piers, first-
floor cill string, frieze, moulded cornice, and blocking course. Projecting
central pavilion with plinth, moulded impost band to central blocked round
carriage-arch, and flanking paired Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze,
moulded cornice, and interrupted balustraded parapet. Courtyard elevation
of 9 bays, 3:3:3 rhythm; central pavilion with blocked carriage arch and
inserted 6 flush-panelled door with radial fanlight. East front: end
pavilions with recessed blind round arches and glazing bar sashes with
radial lunettes above impost band. Central 7-bay entrance and coach house
block, 2:1:1:1:2 rhythm; frieze, moulded cornice, blocking course, and
hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks and 2 end stacks, central 3-bay projection
with blind round arches flanking central break which has round carriage
arch with blind tympanum and pair of gates, and triangular pediment above.
Courtyard elevation of 17 bays, 4:4:1:4:4 rhythm; central 9-bay block has
round-arched arcaded ground floor with pairs of panelled coach-house doors
and recessed blind tympana; central break has round carriage-arch with
blind tympanum, and triangular pediment above. West front: 15 bays,
1:6:1:6:1; plinth, impost band and moulded eaves cornice; blind round-
arched arcading. Central pavilion with plinth, stepped end-piers, moulded
string course, frieze, moulded cornice, and coped parapet with balustraded
centre; boarded door. Courtyard elevation of 9:1:9 bays; central projection
has pair of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight, flanking wide
pilaster strips, and triangular pediment. North range; courtyard front:
5:1:5 bays; centrepiece with plinth, moulded impost band, and paired
Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze and triangular pediment; central pair
of 3 flush-panelled doors with radial fanlight. Interior: north and west
ranges still retain C18 stalls and have flush-panelled dividers with ogee-
curved tops and end posts with banded urn-finials, boarded back wall with
arcaded mangers and name panels, brick floors and plaster ceilings with
dentil cornices. Some former blind windows including those in the south
front have been opened in the late C20. The stables were designed for 60
horses. H. Avary Tipping, Attingham, CL, Vol.XLIX (Feb. 5th 1921), p.163.

Listing NGR: SJ5481410037

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.