History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory (60 Metres to West of Church)

A Grade II Listed Building in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8497 / 51°50'58"N

Longitude: -0.0204 / 0°1'13"W

OS Eastings: 536448

OS Northings: 218642

OS Grid: TL364186

Mapcode National: GBR KB1.TYL

Mapcode Global: VHGP9.LRKW

Entry Name: The Rectory (60 Metres to West of Church)

Listing Date: 23 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161144

Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Built-Up Area: High Cross

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: High Cross St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

High Cross
TL 36 18 STANDON NORTH DRIVE
(north side)

9/15 The Rectory
(60m to W of church)

GV II

Vicarage, now a house. Circa 1846 probably by Anthony Salvin
(1799-1881), later rear extension. Built for Dame Louisa Giles
Puller of Youngsbury, with church and school in the new
ecclesiastical district formed in 1845. Red brick and red tile
roof hipped at E. 2 storeys, 3 windows house facing S with
gabled wing on left and entrance on W. Red brick-work in English
bond with black diaper patterns. Chamfered plinth, floor band,
and bargeboards with pendants. 2-light casement upper windows
with flat gauged arches and chamfered cornices. Similar heads to
tall lower openings with windows each side of French doors, all
with decorative patterns of glazing bars in squares and octagons
in mullioned and transomed 3-light windows. Projecting chimneys
at each end and at rear all with tall separate square shafts
joined at the tops. Stone chamfered Tudor arched doorway on W
with triple sunk panels over and narrow stone window to left. 2
storeys brickand tile rear extension not of special interest.
Included for group value. (Pevsner (1977) 195)


Listing NGR: TL3644818642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.