History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cruckmeole House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontesbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6807 / 52°40'50"N

Longitude: -2.8434 / 2°50'36"W

OS Eastings: 343078

OS Northings: 309551

OS Grid: SJ430095

Mapcode National: GBR BD.44NT

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.9W79

Entry Name: Cruckmeole House

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259477

Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pontesbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Great Hanwood

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Great Hanwood

Listing Text

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. CRUCKMEOLE

4/174 Cruckmeole House
-
29.1.52
GV II

House. Early C17, extensively re-modelled late C18 with later additions and
alterations. Red brick (concealing timber frame to earlier part), plain
tile and slate roofs hipped to front. Original house an L-plan with a chimney
stack set axially at junction between hall and cross-wing; extended in brick
to south and east in late C18 with further additions of c.1850. East front:
2 storeys, low stone eaves parapet; 1:3:1 windows with central section under
projecting pedimented break, glazing bar sashes, those to outer bays of central
section on first floor painted in imitation, tripartite windows in round-arched
recesses to outer bays on ground floor; central pedimented doorcase with
fanlight and 6-panel door, trellised wrought-iron verandah to 3 centre bays;
prominent axial ridge stack to right with smaller subsidiary stack to left.
Single-storey additions to left and right (c.1850) with blind glazing bar
sashes painted in imitation; to the rear the north-west gable (former cross-
wing) has exposed purlin ends. Interior: not inspected but the lintel of
a cellar window is said to be an early C17 stair newel with elaborately carved
decoration. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.259.


Listing NGR: SJ4307809551

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.