History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, the Square

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.812 / 51°48'43"N

Longitude: 0.151 / 0°9'3"E

OS Eastings: 548380

OS Northings: 214785

OS Grid: TL483147

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.90X

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.KQQ8

Entry Name: 2, the Square

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176879

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160855

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

THE SQUARE
1.
5253
(South Side)
No 2
TL 4838 1478:3/42
II GV
2.
C16 rear range, early C18 front range, traditional shop front to W half
of front. Timber frame plastered under steep roofs, half hipped with
old red tiles to rear range, gabled with front slope slated, to front
range. Lean-to rear outshuts under catslide tiled roofs. Lower workshop
extension C19 on W. Rear range of 2 storeys attics and cellar. On Gd
floor chamfered and stopped exposed ceiling joists and evidence of regular
close studding in walls to E and S indicate a building of high quality.
Large central chimney stack appears to be an early insertion. 3 bay
clasped purlin roof with diminished principals, slightly curved long
braces, and cambred collars. Spiral stair next chimney. C17 mullioned
2 light leaded casement in E attic, large NE corner post exposed on 1st
floor. Early C18 front range of 2 storeys with 3 window front to N.
Rough plastered over black plinth. Wooden eaves cornice with paired
brackets. External gable stack on E only serving Gd floor. Near symmetrical
front with door pushed over to E to allow insertion of shop front. Flush
box sashes with moulded architraves but C19, 2/2 paned sashes. Circa 1760
triangular pedimented wooden doorcase with tapered-plain pilasters,
acanthus consoles and full entablature with coved and arched bed mould
to straight and raking cornices. Architrave and frieze break forward over
consoles and over central panel. Heavy frame to 8 panelled raised and
fielded door, top 2 panels glazed. Small Gd floor semicircular flat topped
bay on E flank with moulded cornice and 3 sashes segmental on plan. Early
C19, 8/8 paned flush sash to 1st floor of rear range and small C19 flush
sash with 2/2 panes over bay window. Interior of front range has C18
2 panel doors generally with H-hinges. The building is said to have been
in use by butchers continuously since 1838. An important C16 building with
good C18 front range and fine c1760 doorcase with Gothic influence.


Listing NGR: TL4838014785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.