History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontesbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6859 / 52°41'9"N

Longitude: -2.8408 / 2°50'26"W

OS Eastings: 343263

OS Northings: 310133

OS Grid: SJ432101

Mapcode National: GBR BD.3Z5N

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.BRH8

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176885

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259479

Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pontesbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Great Hanwood

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Great Hanwood

Listing Text

SJ 41 SW PONTESBURY C.P. CRUCKTON

1/176 Church of St Thomas
-

- II

Parochial chapel, now redundant. 1840 by Edward Haycock. Coursed local
limestone rubble, machine tile roofs. Plain lancet style; nave, chancel,
south vestry, west porch and bellcote. Nave: buttressed in 4 bays with lean-
to vestry in east bay of south side; windows all broad lancets; gabled west
porch with gabled bellcote (housing single bell) above. Short chancel of one
bay with broad lancet in east wall. Interior: retains its original open
benches and west gallery supported on plain cast-iron columns; most of the
other fittings are late C19/early C20; plain reading desk, stone pulpit with
marble shafts and slender octagonal font all of c.1880. The base of the
communion table is mid-C17; early C17 oak panelling in north and south walls
added when chancel was re-modelled internally c.1929. Erected on a site given
by Thomas Harries of Cruckton in 1838 and built at a cost of £949 (raised by
public subscription), the chapel formerly served the second portion of Pontesbury
parish. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.290.


Listing NGR: SJ4326310133

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.