History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bedehouses and Adjoining Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Freeby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7602 / 52°45'36"N

Longitude: -0.7978 / 0°47'52"W

OS Eastings: 481223

OS Northings: 318738

OS Grid: SK812187

Mapcode National: GBR CQB.WN9

Mapcode Global: WHFK1.QW9C

Entry Name: The Bedehouses and Adjoining Outbuildings

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176897

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189815

Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Freeby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Saxby with Stapleford and Wyfordby

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Waltham on the Wolds

Listing Text

SK 81 NW FREEBY SAXBY ROAD

Stapleford
(east side)
6/43 The Bedehouses and
adjoining out-
1.1.68 buildings

II

8 almshouses. 1732. Enlarged and remodelled in the Picturesque
style, 1820. Brick with stone dressings, pantile and thatched
roofs, 4 grouped ridge stacks, ashlar projecting quoins. Single
storey plus attics, 16 bays. West front has a central pair of
doors flanked by pairs of casements, flanked by pairs of doors,
again flanked by pairs of casements andterminated by single
doors. The doors have Tudor arched heads and the windows have 3
iron casements, all with projecting rusticated surrounds with
keystone lintels. Above, 6 gabled dormers. North and south ends
have each a door, that to south broken out, and a dormer above.
Rear has the same pattern of fenestration as the front with small
segmental headed casements and plank doors. Adjoining quadrangle
of partly ruinous single storey outbuildings, 6 bays wide by 3
bays deep. Built for the Earl of Harborough and remodelled for
his heirs to house Stapleford Park Estate workers.


Listing NGR: SK8122318738

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.