History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 64 (Moonrakers) (Including North Part Formerly Separately Listed As Moonrakers, Under the Valley)

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8764 / 51°52'35"N

Longitude: -0.2816 / 0°16'53"W

OS Eastings: 518386

OS Northings: 221158

OS Grid: TL183211

Mapcode National: GBR H6V.7MB

Mapcode Global: VHGP5.23GC

Entry Name: Number 64 (Moonrakers) (Including North Part Formerly Separately Listed As Moonrakers, Under the Valley)

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162936

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Built-Up Area: Whitwell (North Hertfordshire)

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET
(North side)
Whitwell

12/144 No. 64 (Moonrakers)
27.5.68 (including N part
formerly separately listed
as Moonrakers, under The
Valley)

GV II

House. Circa 1500 open hall house with storeyed N service crosswing,
chimney inserted in cross-passage and floor in hall in late C16, hall
heightened and S wing built on site of original parlour wing in late
C17 (graffito of topping out ceremony with 'FPA/1686'), Divided into 5
cottages by late C18, restored as one house 1963. Timber frame exposed
at front (W) on 1st floor with plastered infill to jettied N wing and
flush S wing but red brick infill to hall range. Roughcast on ground
floor and S side but red brick to front of hall range. Steep old red
tile roofs. An irregular H-plan house facing W on corner with The
Valley. 4 windows long front and 2 to S end. Front has 2-lights casement
windows with small panes to 1st floor and 3-lights similar windows to
ground floor. Very large external N end chimney in narrow red bricks. N
wing has tension braces set back behind studs and not intended to be
seen. S crosswing has braces flush with studs. Interior has re-used
smoke blackened rafters with mortices for collars, jowled posts at level
of old hall range eaves, cut through tie-beam at this level,
clasped-purlin roof to N wing which had one room on each floor.
Chamfered and stopped joists and axial beams to floor inserted in hall.
(RCHM Typescript: Morris (1980)40).


Listing NGR: TL1838621158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.