History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Free School

A Grade II Listed Building in Cardington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5517 / 52°33'6"N

Longitude: -2.7292 / 2°43'45"W

OS Eastings: 350651

OS Northings: 295122

OS Grid: SO506951

Mapcode National: GBR BK.D8SX

Mapcode Global: VH83B.N416

Entry Name: Former Free School

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Last Amended: 7 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259558

Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cardington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hope Bowdler

Listing Text


SO 5095-5195 CARDINGTON C.P. CARDINGTON

12/17 Former Free School
13.6.58 (formerly listed
as Old Free School)

GV II

School, now part of larger house. Circa 1720. Red brick with grey
sandstone dressings, including dressed sandstone plinth with coursed
brown sandstone rubble foundations exposed to south-east; plain tile
roof. 2 storeys. Tall chamfered plinth, stone plat band, and parapeted
gable ends with chamfered stone copings and shaped kneelers; integral
brick lateral stack to south-east. North-west (churchyard) front:
3-windows; first-floor 2-light leaded wooden casements, and ground-
floor leaded wooden cross-windows with stone lintels (blocked with
brick up to transom level); probably later blocked doorway to left
(see straight joints) with small inserted casement; stone plaque above
central ground-floor window inscribed:"FREE SCHOOL". South-east front:
2 first-floor 2-light leaded wooden casements to left and one single-
light leaded casement to right; 2 ground-floor leaded wooden cross-
windows to left with stone lintels. South-west gable end has first-
floor wooden cross-window (C20 replacement - see cill) with brick
band above and ground-floor boarded door (lowered at some time - see
blocked opening above with lintel). Interior not inspected. The
school was first endowed by William Hall in 1720 and again by John
Russel in 1813. The former Free School now forms part of a larger
house with No. 19 (q.v.) adjoining to north-east. Kelly's Directory
of Shropshire (1885), p.819.


Listing NGR: SO5065395123

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.