This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0151 / 51°0'54"N
Longitude: -3.0549 / 3°3'17"W
OS Eastings: 326094
OS Northings: 124496
OS Grid: ST260244
Mapcode National: GBR M3.J7W5
Mapcode Global: FRA 46HF.FPL
Entry Name: Ruishton House
Listing Date: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270885
Location: Ruishton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Ruishton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/04/2016
A358 (South side)
Country house. Dated 1893. By Mr Spiller for Robert Grieve Sommerville and Marion Pethick Somerville. Gauged and moulded red brick, gable fronted with decorative tile hanging and applied half timbering in gable ends, overhanging eaves with sprockets, plain clay tiled roofs and decorative ridge tiles, large ribbed brick stacks with terracotta dragon headed water spouts to moulded caps. L-plan: entrance on west front, long north-east service wing to courtyard. Old English Tudor style. West front; 2 and a half storeys, 1:3 bays, right 3 bays gable fronted, 2-light sash window in gable end, upper portion with 12-panes, similar first floor sash windows, pair left, 3 right with louvred shutters, long 3-light French window flanking large gabled porch, half glazed door with side lights and tinted glass; fine cast iron verandah with floral motif abutting porch and enclosing house on west and south fronts, in good condition, ruberoid slate roof. Inserted Ham stone quoin ground floor inscribed west front 'laid by Stuart Somerville 1893' with the initials RGS and MPS on south side. Garden front symmetrical, 3 bays, gabled centre; long service wing with applied half timbering to first floor. Interior not seen.
The Somervilles owned the paperworks (not included) at Creech St Michael, and there is a memorial to them in the Church of St George, Ruishton CP (qv). The plan is uninspired but the house has good external detailing and might contain features of interest.
Listing NGR: ST2609424496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings