This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6633 / 52°39'47"N
Longitude: -2.7024 / 2°42'8"W
OS Eastings: 352593
OS Northings: 307515
OS Grid: SJ525075
Mapcode National: GBR BL.59DM
Mapcode Global: WH8C1.GBD3
Entry Name: Berrington Hall
Listing Date: 14 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259675
Location: Berrington, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Berrington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Berrington with Betton Strange
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BERRINGTON C.P. -
SJ 50 NW
Shown on O.S. map as Rectory.
Rectory, now small country house. 1805, by Joseph Bromfield (c.1743-
1824) of Shrewsbury for the Hon. and Rev. Richard Noel Hill. Red brick
with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof. 1:1:5:1 bay
rhythm; central 5-bay block with set back one-bay service pavilion to
left and one-bay link block between, and set-back one-bay block to
right, possibly link to former right-hand pavilion. 2 and 3 storeys.
Stone plinth, frieze and dentil eaves cornice; 4 brick ridge stacks.
Glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads, painted imitation in 2
right-hand bays, 2 steps up to central pair of half-glazed flush-
panelled doors and ashlar porch with paired Tuscan columns, architrave
and frieze, and triangular pediment; 4-bay return fronts, left-hand
with painted imitation sashes in 2 right-hand bays, blind hoods to 2
first-floor left-hand sashes, and French casements in left-hand bay,
and right-hand with blind windows in third bay from left. 3 storeys
and 4 bays at-rear. Left-hand pavilion: stone frieze; paired brick
pilaster strips to triangular-pedimented gable end with stone coping;
central brick ridge stack, pair of half-glazed flush-panelled doors
with blind box over; 4-bay left-hand return front. Right-hand link
block has paired brick pilaster strips to triangular-pedimented gable
end. Interior: largely unaltered; moulded cornices and enriched
plaster soffits, 6-panelled doors, reeded architraves with corner
paterae, reeded fireplace surrounds, and panelled internal window
shutters throughout; 3-flight square-well staircase with landings,
open string, wrought iron balustrade with anthemion ornament, wreathed
handrail and curtail with columnular newel, and circular domed top
light; back staircase with stick balusters. Joseph Bromfield was
a plasterer by trade. The house, service wing and stable block (q.v.)
enclose 3 sides of a service courtyard to the east. It is possible
that a north pavilion was intended but the pilastered gable end to
the link matches the treatment of the south pavilion and suggests that
a north pavilion was never built and probably not envisaged. This is
a very well preserved example of an ambitious early C19 rectory.
V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.25; Colvin, p.142.
Listing NGR: SJ5259307515
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings