History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables and Coach House at Berrington Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Berrington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6655 / 52°39'55"N

Longitude: -2.6997 / 2°41'58"W

OS Eastings: 352776

OS Northings: 307760

OS Grid: SJ527077

Mapcode National: GBR BL.541Y

Mapcode Global: WH8C1.H8ND

Entry Name: Stables and Coach House at Berrington Buildings

Listing Date: 19 January 1983

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259683

Location: Berrington, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Berrington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Berrington with Betton Strange

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wroxeter

Listing Text

BERRINGTON C.P. A458 (south-west side)
SJ 50 NW
SJ 5278 0776
3/31 Stables and coach house
19.1.83 at Berrington Buildings
(formerly listed as
Berrington Buildings)
GV II
Stables and coach house, now cow house. Circa 1780-90, possibly by
George Steuart. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped
plain tile roof. One storey and loft. South-west front: plinth,
stone impost band, and dentil brick eaves cornice. 1:1:1 bays. Central
break with blind segmental archway and flanking paired brick pilaster
strips supporting stone-dressed triangular pediment with bullseye
window in tympanum; flanking bays with blind round-arched recesses.
Rear has segmental-headed boarded and blind loft openings and ground-
floor segmental-headed slatted windows and 2-leaf boarded doors;
evidence of former large opening (see straight joint). Interior not
inspected but said to have timber framed cross-walls, door with 6 raised
and fielded panels, boarded stalls, feeding racks and troughs, and cobbled
floors. The stables have probably been attributed to Steuart largely
because they stand within the Attingham Estate [Attingham Park, Atcham
C.P. (q.v.)]. However the main front faces towards Berrington Hall (q.v.)
of 1805 by Joseph Bromfield, as if to screen the buildings from the house.
Paired brick pilaster strips similar to those at Berrington Buildings,
also occur in the service wing of the house. It is possible that the
stables at Berrington Buildings date from 1805 or perhaps that Bromfield
took the details from them. There is no evidence of any earlier building
on the site of Berrington Hall. The relationship of the house and the
stables at Berrington Buildings deserves further investigation. The
National Trust, Attingham Park Estate Vernacular Building Survey.

Listing NGR: SJ5277607760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.