History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ash View Rest Home on East Corner with Bell Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Widford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8216 / 51°49'17"N

Longitude: 0.0535 / 0°3'12"E

OS Eastings: 541624

OS Northings: 215654

OS Grid: TL416156

Mapcode National: GBR LCV.NBV

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.WG4Y

Entry Name: Ash View Rest Home on East Corner with Bell Lane

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160051

Location: Widford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Widford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Widford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4115 WIDFORD WARE ROAD
(south side)
Widford village

5/9 Ash View Rest Home
(formerly Walnut
Tree House)
on E corner with
Bell Lane

GV II


House. Early C18 centre part, extended to W in mid C19 (after
Tithe Map of 1839), to NE in 1893 (plaque inside), and to E and S
in 1901-2. From c1880 the various extensions for G S Pawle Esq
by H A Pelly. A large 2 storeys pink-washed brick house with
grey brick exposed on rear wing. Front range roofed in bands of
plain and scolloped buff tiles. Slate roofs elsewhere. The
oldest part in the middle has 3-bays defined by giant order brick
pilasters with interrupted floor band between, and formerly gable
chimneys. The pilasters have a delicate moulded necking a deep
frieze and a moulded cornice with narrow dentils. 3 flush box
sash windows with moulded architraves and Gothick tracery. Right
hand bay has a Classical C19 stucco 1 storey enclosed porch with
Composite order pilasters and a full entablature with dentilled
cornice. Glazed double doors with Gothick tracery. To the right
hand a mid C19 higher 2 storeys crosswing with low slated hipped
roof and a large upper oriel window with ogee swelled base over
a 3-light lower window. In the last stage of extensions the
front was extended a further 3-bays to the E in a vigorous Arts
and Crafts Style and the new banded buff tiled roof was extended
over the older middle part where the projecting rafter feet give
the impression of a dentilled cornice. 3 sash windows with
Gothick tracery grouped to centre with 2 lower upper-floor
windows over the outer windows below. A small triangular
rooflight with deep ornamental bargeboard- is centralnear the
ridge of the roof. The new E external gable. chimney has the
upper floor projected out on heavy moulded wooden brackets to
enclose it. Elaborate gable bargeboard with moulded collar and
grid of timbers above. An historic picturesque house on a
prominent site at the bend of the road when entering the village.
Part of a varied group in this part of the Conservation Area.


Listing NGR: TL4162415654

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.