This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1897 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.5089 / 2°30'32"W
OS Eastings: 365304
OS Northings: 254727
OS Grid: SO653547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.448R
Mapcode Global: VH856.G7H6
Entry Name: 6, Old Road
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 2 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151050
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/223 OLD ROAD
(Formerly listed as:
A dwelling with an C18 façade and potentially an earlier core.
MATERIALS: Brick, which is painted with imitation timber at ground-floor level. The roof, and pentice hood are slate, and chimney stacks are brick.
PLAN: The building occupies a corner plot on Old Road and Tenbury Road. Its main range is orientated east-west, parallel with Old Road. It is rectangular in plan; there is a wide chimney stack to the north-east, and C20 additions to the rear.
EXTERIOR: The principal façade is two bays and three storeys. It is roughly symmetrical: the right-hand bay is slightly wider. At ground floor level there are two canted bay windows either side of a central front door above which a slate pentice runs the length of the building. The ground floor is painted to resemble timber framing. The are two windows to the first and second floors with C20 fittings. The gable end has a large window at ground-floor level and a small casement at second-floor level. There is a wide, rendered shaft with a brick chimney stack at the top.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 6 Old Road is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, which runs east from the vicarage and church. It is a continuation of Cruxwell Street, which was known as Corkeswalle Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Croxewalle Streate in 1575. Where it becomes Old Road it was known as Sheep Street in the early C20. This central area of the town to the south of the church and around the market place appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
The angle of the pitch of the front leaf of the roof is shallower than the rear leaf, suggesting it was raised in order to provide the second storey, as is the case for many of the other buildings in Bromyard. The Ordnance Survey map of 1928 is the first to show a small block to the north-east of the main range; presumably the thick chimney stack, which was perhaps added for a commercial function.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 6 Old Road, a domestic building with a ground-floor restaurant and accommodation above is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a well-proportioned, modest C18 facade
* Earliness of date: it pre-dates the 1840 threshold and may have a much earlier core
* Group value: with its immediate neighbours and other nearby listed buildings
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings