History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontesbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6266 / 52°37'35"N

Longitude: -2.8897 / 2°53'22"W

OS Eastings: 339874

OS Northings: 303576

OS Grid: SJ398035

Mapcode National: GBR BB.7R7T

Mapcode Global: WH8C4.L75Q

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259488

Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pontesbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Habberley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Minsterley

Listing Text

SJ 30 SE PONTESBURY C.P. HABBERLEY

7/185 Church of St Mary
-
13.6.58
GV II

Parochial chapel, now parish church. C12 fabric, restored and partly re-
built c.1864. Uncoursed limestone and quartzite rubble with limestone and
sandstone ashlar dressings, machine tile roof. Nave and chancel in one
with bellcote at west end and lean-to vestry (former north chancel chapel)
at north-east corner. One 3-light late C16 mullion window to south wall
of chancel; remainder alI c.1864, paired cusped lancets with quatrefoils
above to east of north and south doorways and one single light to west on
north, east and west windows of 3 stepped lights also with cusped heads;
C12 south doorway with plain recessed arch and tympanum, north doorway
similar but narrower, both restored; Gothic-style bellcote at west end
has 2 cusped lancet openings; prominent stepped buttresses at south-east
and south-west corners probably C17 (date 1648 on latter). Interior:
late C19 arch-braced roof in 5 bays; most of other fittings and furnishings
also date to 1864 restoration, although some late C17 panelling was re-used
in nave at this time, stained glass in east and west windows of 1868 and
1883 respectively; C12 font with incised rim moulding is said to have
been re-cut in 1766 and placed on its present pedestal in 1864; a board
commemorating benefactions to the poor of the parish hangs in the vestry,
no monuments of note. Formerly a chapelry of Worthen, Habberley probably
became an independent parish during C12. V.C.H. VIII (1968), Pp.243-44;
Cranage, Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp.528-9.


Listing NGR: SJ3987403576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.