History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Cross at Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8865 / 51°53'11"N

Longitude: -0.2692 / 0°16'9"W

OS Eastings: 519215

OS Northings: 222294

OS Grid: TL192222

Mapcode National: GBR H6N.QRM

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.9V16

Entry Name: Churchyard Cross at Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162970

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1922 ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAULS WALDEN

11/177 Churchyard Cross at
All Saints Church
(20M to W of tower)

GV II

Churchyard cross. 1908. Said to be the last work designed by G.F. Bodley
(1827-1907) (Kelly (1914)231), for Rev H.T. Valentine vicar 1889-1906 as
memorial to his daughter Clair. Sandy limestone with weathered bedding
planes. Marble inscribed panels set in base. In the form of a wayside
preaching cross set on a tall octagonal plinth of 3 moulded steps.
Inscription on riser of top step 'O SAVIOUR OF THE/WORLD WHO BY/THY
CROSS AND/PRECIOUS BLOOD HAS/REDEEMED US. SAVE/US AND HELP US WE/HUMBLY
BESEECH/THEE O LORD'. Plinth about 1½M high. Octagonal base block with
diagonal faces hollow with plain triangular feature. Moulding around
bottom and flowers on chamfered top edge. Marble panels inscribed on
each cardinal face. Tapered octagonal fluted shaft with monogram IHS on
E face on shield. Octagonal moulded cap. Crocketed ogee aedicule top
with crucifixion scene on E side and Christ in Majesty on W.


Listing NGR: TL1921522294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.