History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bourne Orchard

A Grade II Listed Building in Brickendon Liberty, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7577 / 51°45'27"N

Longitude: -0.0786 / 0°4'42"W

OS Eastings: 532713

OS Northings: 208300

OS Grid: TL327083

Mapcode National: GBR KC3.QYJ

Mapcode Global: VHGPV.L2BW

Entry Name: Bourne Orchard

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 20 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160647

Location: Brickendon Liberty, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Brickendon Liberty

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bayford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bayford

Listing Text

TL 30 NW BRICKENDON LIBERTY BRICKENDON LANE
(East side)

3/40 Bourne Orchard
24.11.66 (formerly listed as Bourne Orchard
and outbuildings)
GV II


House. C16 or early C17, extended and given symmetrical appearance in
C19, SE wing and windows in roof c.1908. Timber frame on red brick sill,
roughcast painted, steep old red tile roofs. A large 2-storeys, jettied,
4 windows long house, along a track from road, facing W with gables at
each end of front, central gabled glazed porch, in line with internal
chimney with diagonal shafts forming cruciform shape above square base.
4 2-storeys canted bay windows with horizontal divided casements and
tiled roofs. Triple sash window in each gable and 2 hipped 2-sashed
dormers at eaves give light to upper parts of 1st floor rooms which rise
into roof. Sidelights to bay window on LH of porch lighting ground floor
room mark the original hall. This formed the middle room of the original
2-storeys, 3-cells, internal-chimney, lobby-entry plan house with
continuous front jetty and probably a gabled N unheated service bay.
This house had 4 structural bays, the widest for the hall, the narrowest
for the chimney and entrance lobby, where the staircase may have been
sited. The floor is carried on axial beams. Differences in construction
and variations in the height of the red brick front sill show where the
later changes involved (1) extending the N bay by about l½M to N and
building tall external side-wall chimneys there with 3 diagonal tall
shafts, (2) adding a matching gabled 2-storeys bay as new parlour at S
end making the front symmetrical. New dining room with higher ground
floor level added to rear of this S wing c.1908 together with other rear
extensions and windows in roof giving more light to 1st floor. (inf the
owner and Mrs. Athene Sanders).


Listing NGR: TL3271308300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.