This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9657 / 51°57'56"N
Longitude: -0.0033 / 0°0'12"W
OS Eastings: 537270
OS Northings: 231577
OS Grid: TL372315
Mapcode National: GBR K8Q.L0S
Mapcode Global: VHGNQ.WVLF
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160370
Location: Wyddial, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Wyddial
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3731 WYDDIAL WYDDIAL
10/149 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now a house. Before 1840, probably for Rev. Charles Maxwell
rector 1836-89, rear extension late C19 but before 1895. White brick
with frilly white bargeboards and steep red tile roofs banded with
scalloped tiles. A symmetrical 2-storeys Gothick rectory facing E
with regular rear extension. Front has twin bargeboarded gables with
narrow recessed centre and projecting bargeboarded gabled single-storey
porch. Square-headed chamfered windows with tall margin-light recessed
wooden casements, transomed on Gd floor, with moulded stucco labels.
Framed and battened front door under pointed fanlight with tracery, in
open porch with chamfered Tudor arched entrance and small side windows.
Matching bargeboarded gable on S side but plain gable and simple
rectangular beaded casements on N side. S face of rear extension has a
large projecting bay, square on Gd floor but changing to octagonal with
pyramidial roof above. Tall chimneys with paired octagonal shafts
Listing NGR: TL3727031577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings