History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wiveliscombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0411 / 51°2'27"N

Longitude: -3.3097 / 3°18'35"W

OS Eastings: 308272

OS Northings: 127675

OS Grid: ST082276

Mapcode National: GBR LR.GPBK

Mapcode Global: FRA 36YC.JDL

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270127

Location: Wiveliscombe, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Wiveliscombe

Built-Up Area: Wiveliscombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wiveliscombe

Listing Text

ST0827 WIVELLSCOMBE CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

8/51 Church of St Andrew

25.1.56

GV II*

Church. 1827-9. Architect Richard Carver. Red sandstone with Ham stone
dressings, low pitched Welsh slate roof. Perpendicular Gothic style. 5-bay
aisled and clerestoried nave with outer South aisle and 4 gabled porches at
corners and polygonal apse (rare survival). Tower at West end with set back
buttresses, 3 stages with Somerset tracery in the bell- openings, and embattled
parapet. West door with floral decoration in the spandrels. 4-light windows
flanking a 5-light window to North aisle. Diagonal buttresses to apse over
vaulted undercroft that gives access to catacombs. Rose window of 1915. 4 and
5-light mullioned windows to outer South aisle. Interior plastered. Depressed
4-centre arcade of standard Perpendicular section. Shallow plaster roof with
ribs and bosses. Depressed 4-centre chancel arch and painted plaster polygonal
chancel apse. Early C19 gallery, now organ loft at West end, inscribed with the
name of the architect Richard Carver. Box pews circa 1829. Font octagonal C14 on
restored base. Late C19 Cope chest. C20 pulpit incorporating fragments of
panelling from the medieval church. C17 pulpit tester, not in use. Imported mid
C17 baluster- type altar rails. Tombs: 2 recumbent alabster figures of Humphrey
Wyndham, died 1622 and his wife, died 1620, with an alabaster and marble wall
tablet above.


Listing NGR: ST0827227675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.