History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Domestic Chapel Approximately 110 Metres South of Aston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry Rural, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8378 / 52°50'16"N

Longitude: -3.0033 / 3°0'11"W

OS Eastings: 332509

OS Northings: 327167

OS Grid: SJ325271

Mapcode National: GBR 75.T8Z2

Mapcode Global: WH89X.VX0W

Entry Name: Domestic Chapel Approximately 110 Metres South of Aston Hall

Listing Date: 8 October 1959

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255649

Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Maesbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. ASTON PARK

6/173 Domestic chapel
approx. 110m south
8.10.59 of Aston Hall
(formerly listed as
Domestic Chapel at
Aston Hall)

GV II

Domestic chapel, now ruinous. 1742 with late C19 alterations. For
Thomas Lloyd. Red brick with sandstone ashlar dressings, formerly with
plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with west tower, north porch
1887. Tower: in 3 stages with square corner pilasters, moulded cornice,
parapet and urn finials to corners; 4 round-headed windows with Y-tracery
to belfry and circular windows, each with 4 projecting keystones, to
second stage on west and south sides and to first stage on north and
south; round-arched west doorway has raised keystones and imposts and
panelled door. Nave and chancel in 4 bays also with square corner
pilasters and moulded eaves cornice; round-arched windows with Gibbs
surrounds and inserted late C19 Gothic tracery; porch in third bay from
west on north has C18 pedimented doorway moved out from original
position. Interior: access not possible at time of re-survey (July 1985)
but seen to contain C19 stained glass and what appear to be original
fittings. The chapel replaced an earlier one, built in 1594, of which
no trace now remains. B.O.E., p. 65, D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of
Shropshire Part 9 (1908) pp. 780-1.


Listing NGR: SJ3250927167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.