History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Temple Beside the Lake at the Bury at Grid Reference Tl 1906 2174

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8815 / 51°52'53"N

Longitude: -0.2717 / 0°16'17"W

OS Eastings: 519060

OS Northings: 221740

OS Grid: TL190217

Mapcode National: GBR H6N.XTS

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.7ZR0

Entry Name: Temple Beside the Lake at the Bury at Grid Reference Tl 1906 2174

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162995

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 12 SE ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY

4/202 Temple beside the lake at The Bury
at Grid Ref TL 1906 2174 (formerly listed
27.5.68 as The Gardens at St Paul's Walden Bury)

GV II

Garden temple. 1773 by Sir William Chambers originally erected at Danson
Park, Kent, re-erected here 1961 (inscription on skirting inside
commemorates rebuilding). Brick built with stucco front and red brick
sides and rear. Portico of timber with stone bases to columns and 5
moulded stone steps descending into lake. Low pitched roof. A small.
rectangular building facing W across the lake to the Wyatt Temple at the
other end of the 1st cross-axis of the garden. Central projection at
rear houses arched recess inside, and front has a tetrastyle Doric
portico with unfluted Roman Doric order, with triglyph frieze, mutular
cornice, and triangular pediment. Tall capped urn on roofridge probably
of Coade stone. 2 round-headed sash windows flank a wider round-headed
doorway in centre with 3/4 glazed door and lion keystone. Pilasters and
panelled soffit to portico. Sections of entablature on sides to N and S.


Listing NGR: TL1906021740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.