This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9363 / 52°56'10"N
Longitude: -2.6819 / 2°40'54"W
OS Eastings: 354265
OS Northings: 337876
OS Grid: SJ542378
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.M31D
Mapcode Global: WH89P.SG29
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260578
Location: Whitchurch Rural, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Rural
Built-Up Area: Tilstock
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tilstock Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH RURAL C.P. TILSTOCK
SJ 53 NW
4/27 Christ Church
Parish church. Dated 1835, by Edward Haycock. Red brick with some
red sandstone ashlar and cement-rendered (later alteration)dressings.
Slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel in one with partly integral west tower,
in a classical style. Tower: 2 stages externally. Ground-floor stone
impost band, slightly corbelled belfry with string course, corner pilasters,
frieze and cornice, and steep pyramidal cap with fishscale slates and cross
finial. Lourved round-arched belfry openings to east and west with impost
bands and moulded arch. Pair of west doors with diagonal match boarding,
radial fanlight and stone arch with hoodmould. Stone step up to door.
Stone half-H panel above west doorway inscribed: "CHRIST CHURCH / ERECTED
ANNO DOMIE / MDCCCXXXV / FROM DONATIONS BY THE LATE / EARL OF BRIDGEWATER".
Circular painted wooden clock below belfry to west. Nave and chancel:
stone plinth, stone impost band, moulded stone eaves cornice, eaves band
to east, and parapeted gable end to west with moulded stone coping.
Small integral brick end stack to east. 5 bays; round-arched small-
paned cast-iron windows with stone cills and brick arches. Pair of west
windows flanking tower. Central round-arched east window with cement-
rendered architrave and stone cill, lower small round-arched window to
left and boarded door to right. Interior: mainly 1835, with some later
fittings. Moulded plaster cornice and ceiling rose. Short square-
ended chancel with cornice,and framed by flanking piers with capitals
and bases and supporting entablature. Early C19 west gallery with 2
attenuated cast-iron Doric columns supporting frieze and cornice , cast-
iron balustrade consisting of 6 panels divided by colonnettes and Gothic
organ case. Dog-leg staircase up to gallery with closed string and stick
balusters. Porch beneath tower. West doorway with a pair of late C19
or early C20 8-panelled oak doors with carved stone shield above to west.
Fittings: tripartite reredos. C19 wrought-iron and wooden altar rails.
Octagonal wooden pulpit. Plain C19 pews. Octagonal stone font with
bowl inscribed: "SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME" and wooden
cover. Step up to chancel with encaustic tiles. Some early C19 memorial
tablets. This church stands near the site of an earlier chapel dedicated
to Saint Giles. Tilstock became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1844.
The present building is a classical version of Christ Church, Ash (q.v.),
the plan of which is almost identical (cf. partly integral tower). The
church is aligned north-south but this description refers to liturgical
north, south etc. B.o.E., p. 301; D.H.S., Cranage, An Architectural Account
of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p.730; Colvin, p. 406.
Listing NGR: SJ5426537876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.